lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Default yet another controller voltage question

I've read a lot of posts, and it's actually helped me eliminate a lot of stuff. 36V TXT. The controller is a curtis 25864G05.

I get a click with the solenoid, but the cart will not move at all. I swapped the solenoid, but it obviously wasn't the only issue (if it was at all). I jumped the motor with a battery charger, and it works fine.

Getting pack voltage at solenoid.

I ran some voltages off the controller.
M-->B- -2.06V to 0.4 when solenoid clicks and then drops to 0.0V
M-->B+ 0V to pack voltage at click (I'm getting 38.07V) and drops to 37.86V when pedal fully depressed
B- --> B+ 0V to 37.86V at click but doesn't change any when pedal fully depressed.

I ran voltages from the ITX to the 6 pin molex and they all seem to be fine.

I did check the FNR switch with the multimeter. In forward, I can get continuity with 4--8 but not 3--5. In reverse continuity with 3--8 but not 4--5.

Can anyone make sense of this? I'm thinking controller, but that's a $250+ gamble. I want to be sure. FNR switch is other thought.
rbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: yet another controller voltage question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbridges View Post
I've read a lot of posts, and it's actually helped me eliminate a lot of stuff. 36V TXT. The controller is a curtis 25864G05.

I get a click with the solenoid, but the cart will not move at all. I swapped the solenoid, but it obviously wasn't the only issue (if it was at all). I jumped the motor with a battery charger, and it works fine.

Getting pack voltage at solenoid.

I ran some voltages off the controller.
M-->B- -2.06V to 0.4 when solenoid clicks and then drops to 0.0V
M-->B+ 0V to pack voltage at click (I'm getting 38.07V) and drops to 37.86V when pedal fully depressed
B- --> B+ 0V to 37.86V at click but doesn't change any when pedal fully depressed.

I ran voltages from the ITX to the 6 pin molex and they all seem to be fine.

I did check the FNR switch with the multimeter. In forward, I can get continuity with 4--8 but not 3--5. In reverse continuity with 3--8 but not 4--5.

Can anyone make sense of this? I'm thinking controller, but that's a $250+ gamble. I want to be sure. FNR switch is other thought.
B- to M- ought to be full battery pack voltage when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click.

You don't have it and the most likely suspect is the F/R switch.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
B- to M- ought to be full battery pack voltage when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click.

You don't have it and the most likely suspect is the F/R switch.
What about the other voltages at the controller? Aren't they incorrect? My wife did complain that switching to reverse was difficult a few days earlier, but it simply stopped working when she stopped to take a picture. Never turned it off or moved the f/r switch. We also smelled a burning that seemed to come from under the seat.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbridges View Post
What about the other voltages at the controller? Aren't they incorrect? My wife did complain that switching to reverse was difficult a few days earlier, but it simply stopped working when she stopped to take a picture. Never turned it off or moved the f/r switch. We also smelled a burning that seemed to come from under the seat.
Yes & No or Maybe.

M- to B+ is the reciprocal of B- to M- as far as how the voltage ought to react to the pedal, but less useful for troubleshooting.

B- to B+ is more or less normal, but ought to be full battery pack voltage after solenoid clicks and a few volts less than pack voltage before solenoid clicks if a precharge resistor is installed.

B- to M- is the most significant voltage reading made, so I addressed it first.

The added info about the F/R getting harder to operate and the sizzling sounds are additional indicators of a failing/failed F/R assembly.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Yes & No or Maybe.

M- to B+ is the reciprocal of B- to M- as far as how the voltage ought to react to the pedal, but less useful for troubleshooting.

B- to B+ is more or less normal, but ought to be full battery pack voltage after solenoid clicks and a few volts less than pack voltage before solenoid clicks if a precharge resistor is installed.

B- to M- is the most significant voltage reading made, so I addressed it first.

The added info about the F/R getting harder to operate and the sizzling sounds are additional indicators of a failing/failed F/R assembly.
Appreciate the help. The F/R turns easily now, but I can't get the continuity tests to work 100%. I read somewhere on this forum that the F/R continuity tests needed to pass 100% on both sets of contacts or it flat out doesn't work. So, I'm going to order a new F/R switch.

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Mark the position of the original mounting bracket. Still may need to adjust a bit so the cam rotates into both F and R mechanical stops, but original position is a good starting point.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The mechanical F/R switch is a weak point in a "series" cart. Installation and adjustment is critical. If it is easy to turn, failure is imminent.
If it is adjusted right, it will be hard to rotate. A common solution is a "caddy shifter".
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
The mechanical F/R switch is a weak point in a "series" cart. Installation and adjustment is critical. If it is easy to turn, failure is imminent.
If it is adjusted right, it will be hard to rotate. A common solution is a "caddy shifter".
Another solution is a reversing contactor, which makes switching directions a simple matter of flipping an electrical switch.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yes, or that
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Well, that makes me feel a little better about the diagnosis. Hard to rotate wouldn't be how I'd describe it. Never paid attention, but it's not difficult at all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO