lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #1
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

Default PowerWise Charger - Low Hum, Not working

So I just picked up a 1990 Marathon 36V. It came with a used PowerWise charger. I replaced the board and the 50amp fuse(bc I broke the fuse when trying to test it). However, it is still doing the same thing as before. I plug it into the wall, then connect it to my golf cart, and 2-3 seconds later it starts to hum.

I uploaded a photo and video of what Im talking about. I am starting to wonder if I need to just buy a new charger.

https://imgur.com/a/FoeJODE
merlin504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PowerWise Charger - Low Hum, Not working

Read the battery pack with a volt ohm meter while plugged up and humming. See what it's actually doing to the pack voltage. May just be a dead meter and actually charging the batteries.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

Before plugging the charger in it was reading 35.5V. How long should I wait to test the batteries again, assuming I want to see the voltage increase even to 35.6V?
Old 08-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #4
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

30 minutes later and that RLY 1 or 9 is more black and very hot. Definitely would have burned me if I kept my finger on it. The rest of the board was not hot to the touch
Old 08-05-2021, 03:24 AM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin504 View Post
Before plugging the charger in it was reading 35.5V. How long should I wait to test the batteries again, assuming I want to see the voltage increase even to 35.6V?
If the charger were working it should jump up immediately while charging.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:50 AM   #6
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Charge voltage should be higher than the pack voltage. Something else to look at is the capacitor, if it has a bulge where the connections are then it's bad or going bad. This area should be flat. That resistor that's turning color and getting hot is not normal.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #7
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This sounds to me like the capacitor is bad as well... Take the two wires off of capacitor and ohm them out...in one direction the value should start dropping as you hold them there, now reverse leads and value should start to climb...if not your capacitor is bad...replace with a 20.5 MF O.E.M # 17077-G1
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
This sounds to me like the capacitor is bad as well... Take the two wires off of capacitor and ohm them out...in one direction the value should start dropping as you hold them there, now reverse leads and value should start to climb...if not your capacitor is bad...replace with a 20.5 MF O.E.M # 17077-G1
Ive ohmed out the capacitor and its fine. The top of the capacitor is flat.

I am not sure If I did not make this clear. But the board and 50amp fuse were brand new. As soon as I plugged it in, both went bad immediately. I just can't figure out why both brand new items went bad immediately upon hooking up to my cart. I should also note, this cart is new to me and I had not been able to charge it before.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Have you checked the diodes? the first thing to happen with a bad diode is the fuse blows...remove two diodes wires..place one probe on board diodes are connected to and the other on end of diode, should get continuity or no continuity, then reverse leads and you should get the opposite of first test..only continuity in one direction in other words..
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Have you checked the diodes? the first thing to happen with a bad diode is the fuse blows...remove two diodes wires..place one probe on board diodes are connected to and the other on end of diode, should get continuity or no continuity, then reverse leads and you should get the opposite of first test..only continuity in one direction in other words..
Ive tested everything this guy shows on his video. According to him, the diodes should not read continuity and they don't when still connected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...UftOGb943lUQhM
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO