lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
webster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New batteries/ question

Installed 6 new US 2200 batteries last night in a 05 EZGO PDS. Pack charge prior to charge was 37.5. I did not run them they went straight on charge and cycled. Not sure how long they charge because this occured over night. This morning pack charge total was 37.9. We took it out for a spin got the pack charge down to 37.2 (roughly 70-75%). Put it back on charge. I was expecting the charge time to be longer according to battery breakin procedures that I have seen on this site. Batteries have been on charge since 11:45 am this morning and it looks like its going to be finishing up soon. Charger sitting a 5 dc amps. Is it cycling longer at lower amps and should charge time increase throught this breakin process. Thanks for input!
webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: New batteries/ question

You are doing the right thing.
First thing I would do is check the battery in your meter and make sure it is OK, a low battery will give you inconsistent readings.
It will take about 25 charge cycles for your batteries to come up to their potential.
Between charges, take the cart for a 30 minute drive and exercise those batteries a little.
Recharging should start with a large amperage draw (15-25 amps) and taper down to 2-5 amps for a couple or more hours.
The low amperage portion is usually the equalizing portion of the charge and near the end you should be able to see the charger reach about 45v +/-.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
webster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

It looks like that's what its doing. But total charge time right now from 75% to 100% is only about 3 hours. After second charge I gave it time to settle and total pack charge is 38.5. The range for each separate battery is 6.4 - 6.43. After break in and when I start taking the pack down to 50% is that when I'll see 12 hour charges shortening to 5-6 hours? And thanks the reply.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It's normal for batteries to charge for 8-10 hours at 50%.
New batteries charge longer and old batteries do as well.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
LIL Sleeper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

WebsterI also have just installed new batteries and mine are doing the same thing so i would say your doing it right. Either that or we both have the same problem. Good luck with the new batteries.
LIL Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
DVR
Gone Wild
Club Car

webster, what area of town do you live in? I'm in the lake katherine area.

I have a 05pds and have gotten pretty familar with it. let me know if you need a hand. have you upgraded the controller yet?
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
webster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Lilsleeper, I guess we are in the same boat. Im following the breakin process and I'm on my fourth charge tonight. I can see the difference though in the run time it does take longer with each charge to get it to 70%. Same to ya and good luck with yours.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
webster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

DVR, Im 5 min from Lake Murray. I've only had my 05 PDS for about a month now. The only that's not new on my cart is the body, brakes and shocks and springs. Oh yeah the motor too. My buddy got me a new 350 amp stock controller for now. I'm looking at replacing the motor with a Plumquick and possibly a 600amp controller once I see what set up they have for me. We cruise the neighborhood and I hunt out of my cart.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
DVR
Gone Wild
Club Car

too far for me to travel in my cart! Sounds like you are enjoying it.
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
webster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Whole family can enjoy it. We have had four wheelers before, but the cart gives you a few more oppurtunites. Let me know if you ever need any parts, I have a buddy who's family runs an EZGO dealership out of Sumter. I always find better deals with my friend locally, more of a hobby for them than a business.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO