lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
rougher83
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V EZ-GO Charging problem

I have an 02 EZ-Go that I have replaced the batteries in. Replaced the relay and 50amp fuse in the powerwise charger. Checked and cleaned both the plug end of charger cord and receptacle. Tested charger on bench after replacing parts...connected to 3 12v batteries and charger engaged. Plugged charger into cart receptacle and nothing. No click hum...nothing. Out of ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated.
rougher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
DVR
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 36V EZ-GO Charging problem

check the total pack voltage in the cart. if it is too low the charger will not kick in. you can charge them in pairs with a 12v charger if needed. I can't remember the voltage cut off for the charger.
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
rougher83
Not Yet Wild

Thanks DVR. I guess I just assumed new batteries would have sufficient charge but not always the case. I understand charging them in pairs...but do I need to disconnect the wires from the battery terminals before attempting this or leave everything connected and just charge in pairs. And is 15 min sufficient for each charge?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
DVR
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougher83 View Post
Thanks DVR. I guess I just assumed new batteries would have sufficient charge but not always the case. I understand charging them in pairs...but do I need to disconnect the wires from the battery terminals before attempting this or leave everything connected and just charge in pairs. And is 15 min sufficient for each charge?
they are never fully charged and it is always recommended to fully charge before use. IMO they should have enough charge for the charger to kick in. There is no need to disconnect the pairs from the pack but it would not hurt if you are concerned. I doubt 15m per pair will do it but idk.
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
rougher83
Not Yet Wild

Thank you sir, I will give that a try when I get home.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
CHunley
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
check the total pack voltage in the cart. if it is too low the charger will not kick in. you can charge them in pairs with a 12v charger if needed. I can't remember the voltage cut off for the charger.
I had the same issue last summer. I believe I ended up charging each set of batteries about 20 minutes before the charger would come on.
CHunley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

there is a small copper contact in the handle that if it isn't making good contact, the charger will not turn on. Also, check the radsocks on the cart side, they do wear out from time to time and need replacing.

You said you bench tested it, when you did so, did you physically plug it into a plug or wire power directly to the charger on the inside to test?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
rougher83
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir. Wired 3 12v in series and plugged them into charger. Worked like it's suppose to. I did inspect the receptacle on the cart and everything looked fine. Took the "radsocks" out and they looked fine...but I will take apart tomorrow and clean with sandpaper or fine round file. Also took apart the charger plug today and made sure that end was clean and not loose and made sure the ground spring would engage when plugged in. The only thing else I can think of (but I admit my knowledge is limited) is to ensure the batteries have sufficient charge to be detected by the charger.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
rougher83
Not Yet Wild

Finally got it figured out...after a couple more days of searching. Took the charger to local golf cart shop to rule out that as the source of my problem. They connected to cart and confirmed it was working properly. Told me to bring cart in and they would look at it. Went home and scratched my head for an hour or so and began the trouble shooting process again. Took all cables out from receptacle...checked radsocks (again) hooked everything back up and nothing. Finally while cleaning the negative cable from receptacle to batteries I noticed that the lug and wire about an inch back from the lug seemed really rigid and slightly corroded. Pealed wire sheath off just behind where it was rigid...rested it on negative terminal and plugged in charger and wham it kicked on and started charging. I guess the resistance had gotten so great due to poor conductivity that it was not making good contact. I really appreciate all of the advice and assistance provided from all those that responded to my post.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Glad you found it!

Just a general note to everybody looking at their old cable and wires, they do corrode on the inside over time... Change your cables with each new set of batteries to ensure proper conductivity
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO