lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default battery sequence

ready to do the 48v thingy. had one leaky old batt., so bought 3 new batts.

i know , but old owner evidently just bought enough to sell it. anyway-have 3 new and 5 one year old batts. does it matter which way or order they are mounted?

jim
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery sequence

what! no opinions? new batts first or older ones? jim
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It doesn't matter. The new batteries are going to be old batteries PDQ. The charger will see to that.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yeah, I agree... I hate to see new batteries mixed in with old batteries.... seems a shameful waste of money
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

thx. for the replys. i too hate to waste money-the 5batts are only one year old and just couldn't see throwing them away. the new ones are relatively inexpensive sam's. @ $67 each. will just have to keep a close eye on them. jim
Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is a little more explanation on the mixing of old & new batteries

Mixing old & new Batteries?
It is generally not recommended to mix new and old batteries in a pack because they have very different charging needs. A new battery is quite active inside (high Specific Gravity) while an old one is not so much. (You can Google how a lead acid battery works) The new battery requires less charging than the old ones to come up to the required voltage for your cart. What happens when they are put in the same pack is the new ones are over charged while waiting for the old ones to come up... this over heats the new batteries essentially cooking them and results in a weakened condition and a shortened lifespan. Basically, the new ones come down to the level of the old ones eventually....
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

scotty, i am sure you are correct, but to carry the logic one step further-under good conditions a battery should last about 5 years i have read. so the one year old batts have 4 years left in them..if the new ones are knocked down to the 0ne years level, then there will be an 8 pack of 4 year olds. would have to spend 5x$67 just to gain one more year.

hopefully that is how it works. now if this was for a customer then it probably be different jim again, thx for the input
Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your locigic is correct. I'm just trying to let you know what to expect, since you asked. When a pack is more than 1 yr old I recommend adding used batteries. Of course it all depends upon the condition (SG readings) of the old batteries. I have seen 2 yr old batteries all (ab)used up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO