lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
tkness
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V Dual Battery Pack-Is it worth it

Has anyone ever set up a dual battery pack for a 36V EZGO. I need new batteries & I was thinking of going with 6-12V batteries and utilizing a perko switch to toggle between battery packs. I figured if I wired 3 12v in a series to get the 36v I could have two seperate battery banks and use a single 36v charger to charge banks seperately. I am curious to know if this has been done & if so did you get more or less travel time.
tkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
terry2shot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V Dual Battery Pack-Is it worth it

Hmm...Interesting concept. a long time ago I asked the question why not just run (3) 12 volts and I was told by people here that the more "lead in your sled"
the more run time. Now here is the mystery that you brought up will (2) small packs have more run time that (1) large....hmm, I'm sure somebody knows the answer, but not me
terry2shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

WELCOME TO BGW >>> I can see you are a thinker ! but......the only reason I can think of is to draw 72v off them Honestly if they are not 'golf cart' batteries they will not last. And if they are 12v 'golf cart' batteries, they will not fit. Plus they will weigh a ton
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
WELCOME TO BGW >>> I can see you are a thinker ! but......the only reason I can think of is to draw 72v off them Honestly if they are not 'golf cart' batteries they will not last. And if they are 12v 'golf cart' batteries, they will not fit. Plus they will weigh a ton
you left out..... "and COST a fortune!"
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

LOL...... okay weigh a ton & cost a fortune There was one guy I presented this argument to who replied ' but I get the 12v batteries for free' Okay that changes everything ... add a trailer
Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
aproldan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkness View Post
Has anyone ever set up a dual battery pack for a 36V EZGO. I need new batteries & I was thinking of going with 6-12V batteries and utilizing a perko switch to toggle between battery packs. I figured if I wired 3 12v in a series to get the 36v I could have two seperate battery banks and use a single 36v charger to charge banks seperately. I am curious to know if this has been done & if so did you get more or less travel time.
hi all first timer here and glad i found this site because i am picking up a cart in the morning( the cart is for a project i am going to be working on in the next week)and was looking for some info on them.. came across this site and this thread, i may have an answer for you on the dual battery.. my question is what amp hour batteries are you looking to use.. i have helped my neighbor with here cart last month and put in 3-12v 125 amp hour batteries and just with that set up she is getting plenty of ride time and her speed has increased by 4 mph because the battery weigh was cut by half.. but if your looking to put in 205 amp hour batteries then it will not be feasible because of all the weight and you will burn up the controller or motor or even fry your wires.. hope this helps
the reason say this is beacause i do a lot of electric conversions and i know electric motors and controllers.. so i know what to do and what not to do with them.
aproldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to bgw ........ i may be able to help you with your battery selection. Anything that is not a true golf cart battery will suffer reduced useful lifespan from the deep discharge cycles that powering an electric car delivers. You can debate this but the tests have been done & the facts have been in for some time. Your neighbors batteries will not last nearly as long as Golf cart batteries.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

aproldan, I've got a couple of questions about your 12v125Ah batteries.

Who is the mfr.?
Group size and model number?
Battery type?
Cost?

On a different subject, you state "with that set up she is getting plenty of ride time and her speed has increased by 4 mph because the battery weigh was cut by half." Can you quantify this? Miles? Minutes? Rounds of golf? Give us something to compare.

Thanks.

pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
aproldan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post

Who is the mfr.?
Battery type?
Cost?

On a different subject, you state "with that set up she is getting plenty of ride time and her speed has increased by 4 mph because the battery weigh was cut by half." Can you quantify this? Miles? Minutes? Rounds of golf? Give us something to compare.

Thanks. btw i picked up the cart today.. not going to use it as a golf cart but did thow in batteries when i got home and everything works.. motor controller foot throttle.. i'll let the kids have a little fun with it before i i take it apart for my project...

the battery is an Everstart MAXX marine/rv
they were 85.00 each weights roughly 60lbs. each i think it's group 29..
as for range she says she's around the 10 mile mark before needing a charge and as for speed i have it at 16 mph compared to the 11-12 mph it did when she first get the cart.. the reason i told her the pick up those batteries is because she didn't have the money for 6- 6volt trojans t-105.. she is very happy with them, so is her husband which is 350 lbs. and putts around @14mph.. as long as they are happy i'm happy..
Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
aproldan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post

Who is the mfr.?
Battery type?
Cost?

Thanks.
btw i picked up the cart today which was free and everything works, controller, motor foot throttle.. i'l let the kids have a little fun on it before i take it apart for my project...

the battery is an Everstart MAXX marine/rv
they were 85.00 each weights roughly 60lbs. each i think it's group 29..
as for range she says she's around the 10 mile mark before needing a charge and as for speed i have it at 16 mph compared to the 11-12 mph it did when she first get the cart.. the reason i told her the pick up those batteries is because she didn't have the money for 6- 6volt trojans t-105.. she is very happy with them, so is her husband which is 350 lbs. and putts around @14mph.. as long as they are happy i'm happy..

Tags
36v, batteries, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO