lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
sirboozin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default top end ?

i belive my top end is goin out on my buggy. after i ride it for like 10 min or so and the buggie will just sieze up ill let off the gas and it will just idle roughly. if it aint the top end what else would it be. smoke was comeing out of the head as well, and the whole cart runs very hot all the time.
sirboozin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: top end ?

With the limited information you supply and guessing from your avatar that you are running a 2 cycle I predict that your cooling system has been invaded by mice / leaves / debris. Remove the 4 screws that hold the fan cover on and clean out the crud. Look down the cooling fins on the cylinder and head and clean them out with a rod and/or a can of compressed air.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
sirboozin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

yah i have an 89 2 stroke sorry. but yah she has been threw some mud and dirt. im gonna take off the tin piece that goes over the head. should i just leave it off ? and should i pop the head off and to see if their is any blow by on the piston ?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
sirboozin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

well i cleaned the head with the shield off it wasnt to dirty. i sprayed it down with purple power and reved the engine and bubbles were comeing around the bolts that hold the head down. so i need a new head gasket. another problem that happens alot is that when i push the pedal down nothin happens untill i pulsate the peddal and choke what could be a problem with that?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirboozin View Post
yah i have an 89 2 stroke sorry. but yah she has been threw some mud and dirt. im gonna take off the tin piece that goes over the head. should i just leave it off ? and should i pop the head off and to see if their is any blow by on the piston ?
Don't leave the air deflector off, it directs air across the head, without it you will have even less cooling. I would correct the bubbles from the head before worrying about the carb issues. Once you have a solid top end then you are in a position to tune her up.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
sirboozin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

alright i cleaned the head. and then i took the headoff and did not have a gasket on the head. so i used some rtv gasket goo to make a gasket. while the head was off the piston looked normal so hopefully the prob was that the head was dirty and needed a seal. and will adjusting the carb get rid of the slow start problem ?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

I had a marathon and mine started to run hot also. I did drive it alot though. What oil are you running? Im sure there might be more to it then that but I pre mixed castor racing oil and it started running a lot better. That could just be me though

Before I switched oils it got so hot it wouldnt start back up for 15 min.
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirboozin View Post
alright i cleaned the head. and then i took the headoff and did not have a gasket on the head. so i used some rtv gasket goo to make a gasket. while the head was off the piston looked normal so hopefully the prob was that the head was dirty and needed a seal. and will adjusting the carb get rid of the slow start problem ?
No, but putting a proper head gasket in might..

Compression is everything... No squeeze, No Go!!!
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
rib33024

I don't think the rtv is going to hold but will see
what plug are you running, the wrong plug can make it run hot
reg gas?
what are you mixing the oil if you are mixing?
Is your pipe stopped up?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
sirboozin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

well i just did the rtv gasket to see if it made a difference. think it would be better than no gasket at all. and i am useing some old penzoil snowmobile oil.(my grandpap had cases of it from his snowbiles) and idk what kind of plug is on it i know it needs replaced though. what kind do you reccomend ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO