lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Replace Batteries, Charger or Both?

Serial No. 299370, Manufacturer Code H2283

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I have some questions about my 1983 EZGO Marathon Resistor Cart. Here is my info:

Batteries: Six Interstate U2200 6V, manufactured in June 2006 (see pic)
Battery Charger: EZ-GO Textron Automatic Charger (see pic), 36V 25A DC, Serial No 8306985, angle connector ( / \ )

All water levels are good. The battery pack was charged for 12 hours and then sat for 12 hours. Voltage was measured using a multimeter and was compared to the “State of Charge” table. The specific gravity was measured using a hydrometer and was compared to the “State of Charge” table.

Measurements:

Pack Voltage: 33.2V

Battery 1: 6.16V (65% charged) > Cell SG: 1.220, 1.165, 1.230 (64% avg capacity)
Battery 2: 4.38V ( 0% charged) > Cell SG: 1.155, 1.230, 1.230 (64% avg capacity)
Battery 3: 4.11V ( 0% charged) > Cell SG: 1.210, 1.100, 1.225 (52% avg capacity)
Battery 4: 6.16V (65% charged) > Cell SG: 1.240, 1.195, 1.220 (70% avg capacity)
Battery 5: 6.13V (61% charged) > Cell SG: 1.225, 1.205, 1.200 (67% avg capacity)
Battery 6: 6.22V (78% charged) > Cell SG: 1.240, 1.225, 1.240 (78% avg capacity)

Observations:
  • Charger does not go over 10A and takes the full 12 hours to shut off (timer).
  • It’s obvious that batteries #2 and #3 are dead.
  • One wire is grounded to the frame of the cart (see pic).
  • Battery acid smell fills the garage while charging.
Questions:
  1. Based on the voltage and specific gravity numbers, does it look like batteries #1, #4 , #5 and #6 could hold more voltage if they were charged with a repaired/replaced charger?
  2. Do I need to repair/replace the battery charger in order for it to charge at 25A and eventually auto shut off?
  3. Do I need to replace the batteries in order for the current battery charger to charge at 25A and eventually auto shut off?
  4. Does the one wire grounded to the frame affect the batteries negatively in anyway?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1918.jpg (151.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2480.jpg (95.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2477.jpg (93.4 KB, 18 views)
turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Replace Batteries, Charger or Both?

All your batteries are shot.
The smell is your batteries cooking, hydrogen sulfide.
The ground wire to the chassis is a no no. It was probably put there to ground accessories or lights. Nothing on an electric cart gets grounded to the frame.
Probably won't know much about your charger until you get some decent batteries in there.
Best price on GC-2 batteries I found is at Sam's Club $72 each.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Replace Batteries, Charger or Both?

Thanks for the reply dougmcp. Looks like I'm going to Sam's soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
All your batteries are shot.
Agreed.

Quote:
The smell is your batteries cooking, hydrogen sulfide.
Good to know.

Quote:
The ground wire to the chassis is a no no. It was probably put there to ground accessories or lights. Nothing on an electric cart gets grounded to the frame.
I will remove it immediately.

Quote:
Probably won't know much about your charger until you get some decent batteries in there.
I figured as much. I was hoping to know if the charger was fully functional BEFORE I invested in new batteries, but I guess not. Just to prepare for the worst, any recommendations on charger replacement parts or a NEW charger that would work with my application?

Quote:
Best price on GC-2 batteries I found is at Sam's Club $72 each.
I just priced them at $67 each at Sam's in Arizona.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replace Batteries, Charger or Both?

UPDATE:

The batteries are definitely shot. I tested the charger on a different 36v battery pack and it went to 23 amps immediately. After five hours the charger was at 8 amps and after ten hours the charger was at 5 amps. Looks like the charger is doing it's job. Time to get new batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO