lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
jagun65
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 Marathon Solenoid Question!

Recently, I re-installed the batteries after rebuilding the frame they sit in. I took photos before removing so that re-wiring would not be an issue. Got in the cart, mashed the pedal and it didn't move. Charged the batteries and still no go.Raised the seat and when the pedal was mashed I could hear the solenoid click. After reading a test procedure, I replaced the solenoid. Wired it back up the same way and it still wont go. The guy at the Ezgo parts counter asked if I needed the resistor. I said no b/c I didn't know what he was talking about b/c there wasn't one prior to removal. I've since read on the forum someone mention the 36v resistor cart having a resistor and a diode.

1. What is the resistor and diode for?
2. Where are they located?
3. Are they necessary b/c this is the 2nd solenoid I've put in and never seen either.

I've looked at the wiring diagrams at the top of the forum and found one that matches (or so i think) my cart but can't see enough detail in the picture.
Also I noticed that the 2 micro switches under the f/r switch are connected. Mine are not and to my knowledge never have been.

Is there a place to get a wiring diagram that has a better resolution that I can print out and follow?

Thanks,
jagun65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon Solenoid Question!

1988. You have a resistor coil cart so, you use no resistor or diode on the solenoid.
If the solenoid is clicking when you try to go in forward and reverse the micro switches and the solenoid are probably okay. Check that power goes into and out of the solenoid on the big cables when it clicks... use a voltmeter. If that works the problem is likely the battery cabling.... try these 2 diagrams and see if they help. I don't have one good one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo resistor.jpg (42.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo resistor cart.jpg (13.5 KB, 24 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Careful there big fella.....I've never seen but I have heard of the very first ESC carts with a 1988 build date.....
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Careful there big fella.....I've never seen but I have heard of the very first ESC carts with a 1988 build date.....
Thanks PG. I never heard that before? Maybe the OP can tell us whether the cart is a resistor coil or controller model?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
I learned something new on BGW again today,-- BGW #1
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO