lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
sticknstring
Not Yet Wild

Default it won't go

Hi all-I'm the new kid on the block. I have been following the forum for a few months. Seems like lots of good info and people so far.

I run a series EZ TXT between my deer stands and camp at the ranch I hunt on. Last weekend-she quit on me-and I had to walk back to camp, about 1 mile in the dark My first guess was the solenoid went bad.
I hooked up a jumper cable from the positive controller terminal to the "red terminal-smaller post" on the solenoid and the motor will "click" and if you give it throttle it will run-this is the only way to "turn her on". I'm guessing my solenoid is fine?? would you say my controller is gone? Any input is appreciated...
sticknstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: it won't go

Just try jumping the large post of the solenoid, if the cart moves, then your solenoid is bad,, with the cart moving in your previous connection I would think your controller is not bad. Let us know.

Welcome to BGW !!!
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A jumper on the solenoid merely takes the solenoid out of the running cart equation. If the cart runs with the solenoid jumpered, the solenoid is bad OR the solenoid activation circuit has failed. My guess here is activation circuit. Check the peddle box micro-switch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is great to see everybody doing what they can for little Justin Lee and his Family.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/annou...irst-post.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
sticknstring
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input guys! I'll jump the big posts when I get home today...Scotty-is there a simple way to check the peddle box micro switch?
I'm absolutely out of my comfort zone with an electrical cart-but I think I'm going to enjoy picking up a thing or two about battery/electric circuits...
Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
davet
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I read your post correctly you ran the jumper from the pos on the controller to the small terminal on the solenoid got a click and the cart would run with throttle ???This would say your solenoid is fine no need to jump it you just jumped the activation circut.Like Scotty said pedal box micro.If you have access to a volt meter,jack it up drive wheels on jackstands,key on throtttle depressed,check for voltage at the small terminal of the solenoid,if no power and no click go to the pedal box find the micro switch,check for key on power to one side,power should cross the switch when the throttle is depressed,if not replace micro switch ,should fix it good luck!!Dave
davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you run this cart in the woods right? E-Z-GO has had serious issues in years past with the keyswitch wires either getting pulled off the keyswitch or broken completely due to the location they ran the wiring in (it travels along the passenger side frame rail).

Here is the solenoid activation circuit:

power starts on the white wire on the 36+ of the battery pack.
Power travels to the charger receptacle, goes through a reed switch inside the receptacle and comes out on the red 12 gauge red wire. ( check for power here, 1st!)
the red wire travels back through the loom to the forward and reverse switch where it attaches to a micro.
The other side of that micro has a blue wire attached that runs under the cart to the front and arrives at the keyswitch.
The keyswitch then transfers power to a green wire which returns to the area of the forward and reverse switch.
The power then goes through a 4 pin molex connector and travels to the "pedal box" (located under the floorboard of the car) where it goes through a micro and comes out on another red wire.
That red wire comes back up to the controller/f&r area where it once again goes through the 4 pin molex connector and continues on to the small post of the solenoid.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
sticknstring
Not Yet Wild

Well-I'm at a total loss...I put in a new microswitch-still no go. I went ahead and jumped the smaller terminal on the soleniod -to the positive on the controller and it'll spin like before. I'm thinking there's a bad connection or wire somewhere. Thanx for the info Rabbit-it'll come in handy.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
sticknstring
Not Yet Wild

I tested my voltage at the points Rabbit mentioned. I got 38 volts at the charger recepticle, got 38 volts on the red wire/1st micro terminal. I didn't get any voltage reading at the blue wire/1st micro. I tried again at the blue wire /keyswitch -no voltage. I guess the first micro is bad?....can these be purchased without buying the whole F/R switch? Going to see if I can pick up a switch locally tommorrow, got my fingers crossed...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yes, that micro is available as a seperate entity. Was the cart in gear when you tested at the blue wire? It has to be in gear to see voltage there.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO