lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Opinions please...

I am going to purchase a lift for my 1992 2-cycle EzGo. I know it will hae a little more speed and a little less hill climbing ability. I am okay with that now. I try to drive low speed anyway. I drive less than a 1/4 each day during the summer. I drive down a gravel road, across a street, then some more gravel to the lake. I don't have plans for much more than that, maybe drive through some brush and over a few ruts.

My first question is, should I buy a block lift or is a Jake's drop axle worth the extra $150 for my limited use.

My second question is, should I go with 20" or 22" tires? I am sticking with steel 8" wheels because I am not ready to part with my baby moon hub caps.

Thank you all in advance for your opinions.
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Opinions please...

Here is a picture of my 86 with a $50 block lift and 22x11x8 tires. I am very pleased with the look and the performance
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I made my lift out of an old shoebox, a coat hanger, 2 stick matches and turkey baster for $1.37

The cheapest lift you can find may not be good for some rutted ground. Anything from Jakes will stand the punishment of bouncing along

I like a 3-4 " lift with 22 inch tires ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

tq, this is an ebay $100 (including shipping) 5" lift. made in the u.s. they claim. good quality. for that little traveling, i think it might be some thing to consider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01335.jpg (157.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01349.jpg (177.5 KB, 11 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I too picked up a 5" lift on Ebay (although I caught it on sale for $70-ish) - there are several companies on Ebay selling lift kits, but if you compare tham all there is a definite difference in quality which the pictures show. The one I bought is actually made by the seller (not bought and re-sold) and it's VERY solid and has so far held up to about a year of what basically amounts to "Cart-Abuse" including pulling, jumping, drunken midnight cornering on 2 wheels, wheelies with my buddy standing on the back of the cart, drunken AFTERNOON cornering on 2 wheels, etc etc and has held up just fine ... The current Ebay item number for the kit I bought is 170436435953, btw

Also, just my two cents but if you're going with 22X11-8's on the stock rims (as I did) make sure you get a tire with at least a 2-ply sidewall to cut down on flex (heavy-duty ATV tires fit the bill nicely and tend to be more available and cheaper than "golf cart" tires) AND keep in mind that you're going to need a minimum of 1.75" spacers on the rear and about 1/2" on the front due to the original rims not being offset so your new, bigger tires will rub in the front and not go on at all in the rear without them (again, Ebay, made in the US spacers, $19 a set plus shipping for the rear and short-term, for the front you can get away with a stack of heavy washers to move the rim out the 1/2" you'll need).

Try Denniskirk.com for the tires (especially look through their "Clearance" tires) - I bought a set of 4 Chen Shin Lumberjacks for right around $110 shipped. The Ebay item number for the 2" spacers I bought (better to have a little more clearance than you need) is 180367977550 ...

Chances are someone will probably chime in with other options that will work just fine, these are the parts I used though and like I said, if they held up on MY cart with everything it goes through, they should be good for yours!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguellich View Post
I am going to purchase a lift for my 1992 2-cycle EzGo. I know it will hae a little more speed and a little less hill climbing ability. I am okay with that now. I try to drive low speed anyway. I drive less than a 1/4 each day during the summer. I drive down a gravel road, across a street, then some more gravel to the lake. I don't have plans for much more than that, maybe drive through some brush and over a few ruts.

My first question is, should I buy a block lift or is a Jake's drop axle worth the extra $150 for my limited use.

My second question is, should I go with 20" or 22" tires? I am sticking with steel 8" wheels because I am not ready to part with my baby moon hub caps.

Thank you all in advance for your opinions.
I went with the Jakes 6" lift and 22s. I just feel like that Jakes is so much stronger AND l like the way it looks. This picture is not as good as I would like to show the Jakes but didn't want to go out and take another picture to add to this reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0623.jpg (148.3 KB, 8 views)
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think it looks pretty DANG SWEET!!
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

to add to my earlier post, BuggiesUnlimited has offset 8" rims for $13.99 right now (as well as a 10% off sale til midnight tonight) - that's cheaper than buying spacers for 4 new rims!

The one regret I considered with the block lift is that it doesn't add ground clearance (other than what the larger tires add) - would I spend $150 more to get it, considering the rear lift still leaves the axle and pumpkin as low as they were when the cart was stock - probably not.

In fact, if I was going to bang the h*ll out of something under the cart, I'd probably rather it be an easily replaceable axle instead of the differential or rear axle ...

Just a thought!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO