lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Mickbee
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-GO TXT Motor removal question

All,

First, thanks to everyone for posting all of the great information on this site. As a newbie the information is priceless when deciding to purchase and upgrade. Currently I am well into the overhaul of my "new" (less than 10 total miles) 2004 TXT Freedom Series cart. I've completed the Jakes long travel lift, 23x12x10 wheels, spacers, interior pieces, and a few misc dress up goodies. I have the disk brakes, stereo, and a few other items awaiting free time.

On to my question...

I am about to perform my motor swap with a D&D speed/torque motor and 700a controller.

What it the best method to remove the 60+ lb motor without dropping on my head? I'd like advise by the pros prior to trial and error.

I have contemplated dropping the entire deferential out of the cart completely to avoid wrestling with the frame and body panels.

I have a four post lift in my garage and I'm thinking if I place the differential on jack stands, unbolt the springs and raise the cart off of the diff, it would work.

If this is over complicating a simple swap, let me know too.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Steve

P.S. When can a newbie post items for sale? I read it, forgot what and where I read it.
Mickbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZ-GO TXT Motor removal question

Welcome to BGW!

Here is some reference material for ya:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...s-team-pq.html
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Mickbee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Welcome to BGW!

Here is some reference material for ya:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...s-team-pq.html
Thanks and thanks!!

Great write up.

I'm eager to see my gain with the new more. On the GPS it recorded 19 mph sustained with 1 rider and 16 mph sustained with 3. I'm hoping to gain another 5mph with the upgrades. Am I dreaming?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I believe 2-3 mph is realistic with that motor, depends on the RPM rating of that particular winding. You should have plenty of torque, as long as the pack can support it.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Mickbee
Not Yet Wild

Ahhh yes the pack.... that'l be coming shortly. The pack seems OK for now but based on the age (2008s) and the extremely low usage, I'm not too optimistic they will be able to meet the demand.

I may just upgrade to a 48V at that time.

This thing is going to cost as much as a car by the time I'm done... No complaints and having fun doing it...
Old 01-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

It is truely a sickness........

It's better than Ham Radio.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

I have the speed/torque motor in mine but it'll soon go to PQ for a re-work. Got the Alltrax 4855, 500 amp controller that I'm gonna put on soon as well with new 2ga. cables. If you're not on 48v yet you may as well make the jump, you'll love it. Be sure to have a HD solenoid too. All your other components will handle the 48v, you'll just need a 48v pack.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Mickbee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokeasmowl View Post
I have the speed/torque motor in mine but it'll soon go to PQ for a re-work. Got the Alltrax 4855, 500 amp controller that I'm gonna put on soon as well with new 2ga. cables. If you're not on 48v yet you may as well make the jump, you'll love it. Be sure to have a HD solenoid too. All your other components will handle the 48v, you'll just need a 48v pack.
Thanks for the info. As I understand it, I'd only need to switch the solenoid, and the charger/receptacle.

Once I get everything installed and I drive it around the block a time or two, then it'l probably be back in for "phase 2+" :D

My son is already bugging me to build him a low rider with air bags. One at a time.. one at a time...
Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickbee View Post
Thanks for the info. As I understand it, I'd only need to switch the solenoid, and the charger/receptacle.
I am building mine at 36v for now and got a kit from Scottyb (Thanks Scotty) with the Logisystem 480 amp controller. I will build it and drive it a while before I add the other 2 batteries in the bag well. The LGS can take 36-48v and I will just wire the control circuit to stay 36v and not have to replace my nice new HD solenoid.

Also from what I have seen, that charge receptacle is costly. I have heard it suggested that you just change the end on the new charger. Myself, I am going for an onboard charger.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Mickbee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardket View Post
I am building mine at 36v for now and got a kit from Scottyb (Thanks Scotty) with the Logisystem 480 amp controller. I will build it and drive it a while before I add the other 2 batteries in the bag well. The LGS can take 36-48v and I will just wire the control circuit to stay 36v and not have to replace my nice new HD solenoid.

Also from what I have seen, that charge receptacle is costly. I have heard it suggested that you just change the end on the new charger. Myself, I am going for an onboard charger.
I'm interested to here how your onboard charger setup works out.

Did you swap your motor? If so, what was your technique?

I like Gornoman's method. However... I'm looking at the time and labor to remove my rear seat and it may be less of a pain to go from below. I'm going to look at the under-seat storage panel again before turning a wrench. Maybe I'l get lucky. However, this cart has been resistant to change and making me earn my fun.

It s so much easier to work on Vettes than a cart in my opinion. Another story for another day.

Thanks!!
Steve
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO