lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
colinmitchell111
Not Yet Wild

Default How to modernize an old cart

Hello everybody
I have an old 1964 cushman 3 wheeler. it is a 36v electric cart. I have done alot of work to this cart and it is used to cruise arround our campgrounds on the weekends. my only problem with the cart is the speed control system. Im sure it is like most old carts where is has a rod connected to the gas pedal that has an arm attached to it with a copper contact that slides over 4 different contacts that are wired to the motor. I belive it is a resistor setup? anyways i have replaced everything and still i have problems with the contacts arcing whenever the pedal is depressed or let off. i have replaced all the parts and tweaked and rigged it and nothing works.. eventually it all burns up from arcing.

so here is my idea, i want to ditch the old school set up and convert it like a newer cart.. unfortuneately i have no idea how a new cart works. i think it uses solenoids do change the the voltage to the motor but how does the pedal tell the motor how to change speeds? has anyone ever converted an old style cart like this or could anyone give me some ideas? thanks alot.
colinmitchell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
BenAthar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to modernize an old cart

Most of the carts still use the 4 different contact boards for speed to the motor.
I would try and contact a dealer of new ('10 and up) carts for more info. It might give you a good direction in which to move forward.
Also search for it on the forum.
BenAthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just about every cart built after 1990 has solid state speed control with infinite throttle position sending information. I don't know where Ben is getting his info but contact boards and solenoid speed controls are things of the 80s like tape players and such. We have converted lots of old carts to modern drive systems. Just search around BGW or PM me ....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
colinmitchell111
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Just about every cart built after 1990 has solid state speed control with infinite throttle position sending information. I don't know where Ben is getting his info but contact boards and solenoid speed controls are things of the 80s like tape players and such. We have converted lots of old carts to modern drive systems. Just search around BGW or PM me ....
thanks scotty but i cant figure out how to PM you. so what all will i need to convert my cart?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You won't have PM privileges until you have a few more posts under your belt.

You will need a throttle indicator = probably a potentiometer. A solid state speed controller and a solenoid to work with it. Along with this upgrade you will likely replace all the cables and the F&R, or at least upgrade it.

You will throw away your speed wiper board and resistor coil bunch. That stuff is so 1980!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
colinmitchell111
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You won't have PM privileges until you have a few more posts under your belt.

You will need a throttle indicator = probably a potentiometer. A solid state speed controller and a solenoid to work with it. Along with this upgrade you will likely replace all the cables and the F&R, or at least upgrade it.

You will throw away your speed wiper board and resistor coil bunch. That stuff is so 1980!
in my case it is so 1964! thanks for the quick reply.. does anyone sell all this stuff as a bundle? and who is the cheapest to buy from. i have about $1000 into this cart and im stuck on weather or not to keep dumping money into it or just cut my losses and buy a newer cart
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
colinmitchell111
Not Yet Wild

anyone know a good place to buy all this?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

check with the sponsors at the top of the forum. some will give you a discount. also maybe post in the for sale section. if you are going to stay mild someone who has upgraded may have their old good parts
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
colinmitchell111
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
check with the sponsors at the top of the forum. some will give you a discount. also maybe post in the for sale section. if you are going to stay mild someone who has upgraded may have their old good parts
ok thanks, i dont need it to go faster, just work better.. I will look for used also, thanks

so if i bought this, what else would i need to make this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ezgo-...item3365c3a120
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO