lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
AD Chrome
Not Yet Wild

Default Correct Charging Method

Just bought a used ezgo cart and after looking around the net for the Best Charging method I am Confused, I am Staying in a Campground on the Lake and just use it for Tooling around the Park, 15-20 minutes at a time

Some say charge right after any use and Keep Batteries Charged and Some say only charge after the Batterys get low

Can someone help me out here, have new 6 volt Trojan Batteries and want to get the Most out of them that I can

Thanks in advance
AD Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Correct Charging Method

Trojan battery company say recharge after every discharge of 10% or more to get the most out of your batteries. Never discharge more than 80% of their capacity and never let them sit for extended periods in a state of discharge.
The chart (from Trojan) below will show the depth of discharge and the # of times the battery can be cycled in a lifetime... 700 deep discharge or 5000 shallow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery life cycle Capture.jpg (122.0 KB, 159 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Not necessary to charge each time. If you don't have a gauge, get one. Keep your batteries at least 70% charged and when you do charge them, charge until the charger turns off.

Check water often and keep the water levels where they should be.

Never let the cart sit for long periods on low charge. (A battery killer).

I think Scotty and I posted the same time.....I think Scotty's reply was prettier.
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
AD Chrome
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty...Answered my question Perfectly

Thanks Rivah, I will definitely get a guage, my Charger has a Timer to 20 hrs with a meter, was told to charge till it gets to around 10 Amps
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My post is prettier because it has a very informative chart that I was given by Trojan Battery Co tech Support when I asked them the same question... Likely your charger has a 3 stage algorithm for wet cell batteries. Turning it off before it finishes deprives the batteries of a proper charge. Put it on 16 hours and let it shut off by itself.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
AD Chrome
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
My post is prettier because it has a very informative chart that I was given by Trojan Battery Co tech Support when I asked them the same question... Likely your charger has a 3 stage algorithm for wet cell batteries. Turning it off before it finishes deprives the batteries of a proper charge. Put it on 16 hours and let it shut off by itself.
16 hours even at say only 20 % discharge ?, this is a late 80.s cart and charger

my buddy just tested my Batteries with this state of charge meter, with charger not connected the meter was up into the Charge area is this ok, this is after charging about 2-3 hrs, charger starts at 20 amps and went down to 10 amps....

going to have to get a Multimeter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 348.jpg (40.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
jonnymoon5
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

i have the same type of gauge in my cart and it shows good readings, but my mistake was to install it and hook it up before it was fully charged. MAKE SURE ITS FULLY CHARGED OR ELSE IT WON'T BE AN ACCURATE READING. if you buy it from buggies unlimited, be ware that it doesn't come with included instructions.
jonnymoon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
AD Chrome
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymoon5 View Post
i have the same type of gauge in my cart and it shows good readings, but my mistake was to install it and hook it up before it was fully charged. MAKE SURE ITS FULLY CHARGED OR ELSE IT WON'T BE AN ACCURATE READING. if you buy it from buggies unlimited, be ware that it doesn't come with included instructions.
does your read in the white chg area when charging... ?

yea no instructions with this either, he just gave it to me , said its brand new, he ended up with the LED style.

Im thinkin it was in the CHG zone because I just took it off the Charger when we tested it
Old 07-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your charger will auto shut off if the batteries hit the cut off mark of 42 - 44v. that is how high the charge will take them. Then let the cart sit 12 hours to see what they settle to..... you will get falsely high readings if the batteries have not had time to completely settle. Full is 38.3.
50% depleted is 36.1v ..... a DVM is a must if you want to get the most from your batts.

Hope this helps . Print this chart for when you get a meter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
AD Chrome
Not Yet Wild

OK, had no idea it would shut off itself

Great info, thanks

I figured my Pack is checking high because it was just charged,

Thanks for all your help,
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO