lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
KyleWoodall
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 EZGO fuel Questions

I just picked up an old Ezgo golf cart on the cheap. Replaced the microswitch and cleaned the carb and gas tank. Could not get fuel to carb. I bypassed the fuel pump and pressured up gas tank to force gas to carb. That got it running. I have a lot more to check out on this thing and was wondering if instead of replacing the fuel pump now I could just get a hand pump like you use in an outboard boat motor topump fuel. That way I can continue to work on it and order any parts I need at once. Or is there a good way to get one of these fuel pumps working. I took it apart and cleaned it and everything looked in order. no diaphragms broke or anything, but I the litte balls(some sort of check) I'm assuming would not move. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle
KyleWoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 EZGO fuel Questions

Well, personally I would just pop the $32 for a brand new pump - a rebuild kit is only about $4 less and it's almost not worth the hassle... As to using the bulb, that won't work except to get it started, to keep it running for any length of time you will need to have an actual pump inline (you could use an electric pump as many have in a pinch but unless you have one laying around, that'll likely cost as much if not a few $ more than just replacing yours).

A couple of things to think about, number one these pumps aren't self-priming, so to get it running (pumping) the first time, the best trick is to get it all hooked up then wrap a rag around the gas tank filler neck and blow into it to pressurize the system (or, come to think of it, put the priming bulb inline and use it to prime the pump, that'd work too) ...

Number two, you're right - those balls are the check valve that keeps the fuel in the pump so it retains prime - so again, if they're goo'ed up to the point where they're froze in place, the $32 for a new pump is definitely well spent
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO