lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
moveqik
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Steering woes

To say my steering is a bit loose would be a huge understatement! I can turn the wheel 180 degrees without any change in the direction of my cart. So as I drive I pretty much turn the wheel back and forth the whole time to try and maintain something close to a straight line.

Is this a common problem and if so is there a standard fix? If not, where should I start troubleshooting? I have a 91 EZGO Marathon.

Thanks in advance!
moveqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Steering woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveqik View Post
Is this a common problem and if so is there a standard fix? If not, where should I start troubleshooting? I have a 91 EZGO Marathon.

Thanks in advance!
It could be spindle tube bushing, tie rod ends, a worn rack&pinion, or a few other bearings causing it, or a combination of some or all. You need to isolate the problem, maybe have a friend turn the wheel back and forth while you check the components.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
EazyGo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I am having the same problem with my 92 Marathon, just not as bad as you are. It seems like it is in the steering box or in the steering someplace. I dont think mine is in the tie rods or anywhere in the suspension. Its almost like the steering wheel is loose or something.
EazyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

The rack gear is made to wear down and does need to be replaced over time. It is near impossible for me to determine if thats the problem over the internet.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
EazyGo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
The rack gear is made to wear down and does need to be replaced over time. It is near impossible for me to determine if thats the problem over the internet.
Can you show me a pic of the rack gear? I dont know much about these carts yet, but want to learn everything I can. Is this something that I can do easily, or do I need to to take it someplace and have it done, and what will this cost me? Thanks!
EazyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
moveqik
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. I'll start digging in.
moveqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Here's a break down of the steering box
Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Hermie
Not Yet Wild

I put bigger wheels on mine and it was all over the road at med to high speeds even after replacing both outer tie rods. I snapped the steering column off flipping the golf cart. So I put another used gear box and column in and had the same thing. So I checked the toe in and it was about a 1/2 inch or a little more. So I tried toeing them outward and now it handles great.
I noticed some play in the down rod off the rack gear tie rod, looked like maybe there are bushings in it that are wore, but now that I toed the wheels out, it handles fine now. So I am not going to mess with them.

Brian
Hermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
Here's a break down of the steering box
How can I get the EZGO p/n for each of these diagram numbers?
turblown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
is there a usual suspect?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO