lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
WingMaster
Not Yet Wild

Default Is there a 36 volt lighted rocker switch?

I just installed 55 watt headlights on my 96 EZGO txt. I changed out the light bulbs from the 12 volt bulbs for 36 volt bulbs after reading that suggestion on here a couple of weeks ago.

I used the 12 volt rocker switch that came with the lights. I did not hook up the ground wire to the switch that would make the red switch light come on when in the on position because I know that little 12 volt bulb in the switch will not last long. I would like the switch light to work.

Any suggestions other than changing the bulbs in the headlights back to 12 volts?
WingMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Is there a 36 volt lighted rocker switch?

I think feeding the switch bulb through a resistor would work. You need to know what current the 12 volt bulb draws at 12 volts, then, using Ohms law, the value of the resistor would be 24 volts divided by that current. (I would increase the resistance value to the next higher standard value resistor, (just to be safe). The resistor you select must also have the proper power rating. The power dissipated by the resistor will be determined by multiplying 24 volts times the current through the resistor. You should then select a resistor with a power rating 2 to 3 times the dissipation to keep resistor heating down. I suppose another way would be to feed the bulb in the switch with 12 volts from your pack instead of 36 volts, but I would caution you to review your switch wiring to be sure you don't "smoke" a wire. Need comments from others here also - Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The simplest way is to do exactly what you did with your headlights, and try to find a bulb that works on 36 volts.

The resistor will work. You'd have to hook up the bulb to 12 volts and measure the current. Simply measuring the cold resistance of the bulb when it's not turned on won't help, as the resistance changes when it's glowing.

The two equations you need are Power = Volts * Amps, and Volts = Amps * Ohms.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
WingMaster
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input so far. I was sure hoping an easier fix.
WingMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think you could tap in a wire for 12V from your pack. Just go back to the negative post 2 batteries from B+. You'd have to run a small wire, but it would be simple! Very small gauge wire would be fine. That little bulb draws hardly anything, especially if it is an LED!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Or you can wire up a 12 volt garage door opener battery. Mine seem to last for YEARS, and they're about a third the size of a AAA battery.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO