lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
buggie brandon
Not Yet Wild

Default Solid State Golf Cart??

So today I found out that my golf cart is a solid state golf cart.
I am not a wire guy so I don't know much about electric. Can anyone tell me what solid state means? Thanks in advance!!
buggie brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solid State Golf Cart??

It has an electronic speed control instead of a wiper board and resistor bank that control the speed of the cart.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm going to try to sum it up in a nutshell, so nobody gets bored or confused...... so don't throw shoes if you think I missed the mark

Early carts ( pre 1991) use a series of graduated sizes of speed resistor coils to regulate speed. Each coil in the group offered less resistance than the previous one. When you stepped on the gas 100% of the available battery power (amperage) was drawn and speed was regulated by how much of this amperage was burned off (wasted) by the resistor coils. So even if you push the peddle a little it drains the batteries same as wide open throttle. The gas peddle operated a wiper which swept a contact across stationary lugs which connected to the resistors. The solenoid merely switched power on /off to the speed wiper.
This is why it does you no good to just upgrade the solenoid....

Modern carts use solid state speed control. These controllers only draw as many amps as you ask for with the peddle.... If you push the peddle down 10% they deliver 10% of their capacity. I say their capacity because a controller is like a gate valve (or a hose bib) to the amperage stored in the batteries... We have different size controllers(valves) available so 10% of a 400 amp is less than 10% of a 650 amp controller.
Amperage = Torque
Voltage = Speed
The solid state controller does not waste any amps and this increases the run time. Hope this helps?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
buggie brandon
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Both of yous! I now understand!
buggie brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO