lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Meash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery Charging Tips Please

Hi Everyone,
I'm a new EZGO owner (2006 36V)

I am receiving conflicting information on charging my cart.

Some are saying, charge only when batteries are run down?

Some are saying, charge as often as you can (nightly)?

Also is it true that if the batteries run below 50% that the charger will not recognize the batteries and therefore not put out a charge?

Any help and or tips on battery charging would be most appreciated...

Thanks everyone!
Meash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Charging Tips Please

To really address this issue would take pages of information, which is why I have posted the info on my website rather than try to explain it in my own words.

Start here with how a battery works.
http://cartsunlimited.net/How_Batteries_Work.html
Then from the cartsunlimited.net home page you can navigate to The battery charging tutorial here
http://cartsunlimited.net/BatteryCharging_Tutorial.html

This type of heavy reading will answer all your questions and some you didn't know you needed to ask! Only after reading all of this are you truly qualified to get the most from your cart battery dollar and to advise (or impress) your friends and neighbors with your battery savoy
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

While at Carts Unlimited, also read:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html As well as everything else with "Battery" in title.

Answering your specific questions.

1. I am receiving conflicting information on charging my cart.
There is a lot of that going around. Lead-Acid batteries are different than other types of rechargeable batteries and Cart batteries (Deep Cycle Lead-Acid) are different than Car batteries (SLI or Starting/Lighting/Ignition Lead-Acid) and different than Marine batteries (Sort of between Cart and Car batteries), so you've got to filter out what doesn't actually apply to Cart batteries.

2. Some are saying, charge only when batteries are run down?
Does not apply to Cart batteries. Lead-Acid batteries have no memory, so there is no need to discharge deeply before recharging. In fact, cart batteries last longer when they aren't discharged deeply before recharging.

3. Some are saying, charge as often as you can (nightly)?
The higher average State of Charge maintained, the longer it will be before you have to replace your batteries.
Charge them as often as possible or practical.
My batteries are either being used or being charged or on float charge.

4. Also is it true that if the batteries run below 50% that the charger will not recognize the batteries and therefore not put out a charge?
Not entirely true. Most automatic 36V chargers will turn on if battery voltage is above about 28V, which is completely off the bottom of the State of Charge scale.
What does happen when cart batteries are discharged below 50% is irreversible damage, or at least the potential of it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Meash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow, great info guys... Thanks!!!!
Meash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
skipi123
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If at some time your charger fails to start and you believe that they are discharged you can charge with a standard 12V charger in pairs of two 6V batteries and then if not damaged the charger will turn on. After this charge as often as being used allows. My February 2004 T-120's are still working and they only get the winters off. They do enjoy a little trickle.
skipi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipi123 View Post
.........My February 2004 T-120's are still working and they only get the winters off. They do enjoy a little trickle.
The fact that your batteries are 240AH instead of the standard 225AH means the average State of Charge has been 6% higher over the past 8+ years, which has increased the useful life of your batteries, but you had to have been taking good care of them also.

If you don't mind sharing.

What is your charging routine?
How often do you service your battery pack? (Water, clean, etc.)
What is your winter storage routine?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO