lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
jfcody3962
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default new motor suggestion needed

upgraded my 2000 Club Car 48V Regen Sepex cart with new DCX500, 2AWG cables, and new solenoid. Love the performance, but I have now toasted the stock motor.

Need to buy a new motor....looking for suggestions.

I want to KEEP the regen feature. I like the engine/motor breaking as I do not have upgraded brakes (yet).

So far I am looking at this one from EVDRIVES:

EY7-4001 -
Shunt Motor with Regen
12-hp@1300 rpm @ 36 volts
Double Brush set (8 brushes total)
High torque motor
Requires upgraded controller like the DCX500
For maximum performance, safety, and durability, a minimum of 4 gauge cables throughout the cart & heavy duty solenoid are required.

Carl says this is the best I can buy for my money. Does anyone have this motor?
jfcody3962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
jfcody3962
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: new motor suggestion needed

BTW- I am not looking for more performance necessarily over what the stock motor offered...just want regen and reliability
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Why not find a stock replacement? Many have them, I got one sitting in my garage now.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
jfcody3962
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
Why not find a stock replacement? Many have them, I got one sitting in my garage now.
Great question/suggestion. This current stock motor has only lasted about 2-3 hours with this new controller....although I have been using the "turbo" function on the controller. I need something that is going to hold up to abuse, but I am not looking for 30 MPH.

My motor was fine before I swapped controllers, so I can only imagine another stock motor will be toast in the same amount of time...unless I throttle the power way back and I am not willing to do that.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcody3962 View Post
Great question/suggestion. This current stock motor has only lasted about 2-3 hours with this new controller....although I have been using the "turbo" function on the controller. I need something that is going to hold up to abuse, but I am not looking for 30 MPH.

My motor was fine before I swapped controllers, so I can only imagine another stock motor will be toast in the same amount of time...unless I throttle the power way back and I am not willing to do that.

Be SURE you tell this to who ever sells you a motor. It matters very much.
My suggestion is call every motor manufacture you can find and ask them if they have a motor to fit the Regen application that will fit your use.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
jfcody3962
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Be SURE you tell this to who ever sells you a motor. It matters very much.
My suggestion is call every motor manufacture you can find and ask them if they have a motor to fit the Regen application that will fit your use.
thanks Scotty....spoke briefly with Carl already, but I will be sure to point this out to him again.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Good point, My Alltrax was preprogrammed with the correct field map for my specific motor. You could probably get someone to program the controller for whatever motor you get but you might have to send it in. I though most after market motors eliminate regen, probably with the speed sensor trick, but I thought the Alltrax controller eliminated it as well?

Also, depending on how you use your cart you could have fried it other ways such as stalling it on a hill. How are you using your cart?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
jfcody3962
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Good point, My Alltrax was preprogrammed with the correct field map for my specific motor. You could probably get someone to program the controller for whatever motor you get but you might have to send it in. I though most after market motors eliminate regen, probably with the speed sensor trick, but I thought the Alltrax controller eliminated it as well?

Also, depending on how you use your cart you could have fried it other ways such as stalling it on a hill. How are you using your cart?
I can re-program the Alltrax DCX...I have the software on my laptop.
That was one of the reasons I went with the DCX...it maintains the regen feature.
My cart is used for camping and just running around on the property.
I have not stalled it...if anything the opposite...high speed sustained for 2 mins or so.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcody3962 View Post
I can re-program the Alltrax DCX...I have the software on my laptop.
That was one of the reasons I went with the DCX...it maintains the regen feature.
My cart is used for camping and just running around on the property.
I have not stalled it...if anything the opposite...high speed sustained for 2 mins or so.
I was referring to the field excitation map programmed at the factory or possible other dealers.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
jfcody3962
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I was referring to the field excitation map programmed at the factory or possible other dealers.
I am fairly certain I can reprogram that as well...just need the hex file.
I can get that from Carl at EVDRIVES if I were to buy the motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car