lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default FWD/REV shifting woes with a two cable Marathon

Do you guys with the two cable EZGO shifter linkage have trouble going from fwd to rev and vice versa? My cart is a `90 Marathon with a `93 transaxle. I'm talking about when the engine is running but it's not the RPM that's the problem though. I have the idle down as low as it will go and still run. It goes into gear fine if I start it up in neutral then put it in fwd or rev and about 50% of the time it shifts back and forth fine when I'm driving it around. No clunking or grinding.

The issue I'm having the other 50% of the time is the shifting mechanism inside the tranny seems to be sticking. When that happens the spring loaded cables just stretch instead of the tranny shifting. Only way to deal with it is shut the engine off and shift it back and forth a few times then start it up again. My cart was originally a pedal start and designed to be shut off before shifting so maybe they all get stuck in gear sometimes if they're shifted when running?

army is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: FWD/REV shifting woes with a two cable Marathon

Looks like I posted this where hardly anybody saw it, or I'm the only one who has a finicky transaxle shift mechanism.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
deerhunter30
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
Looks like I posted this where hardly anybody saw it, or I'm the only one who has a finicky transaxle shift mechanism.
Tighten them up a little bit at the transaxle, mine was doing the same thing when I put the big block in mine and it fixed it right up.
deerhunter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
hugger6933
Getting Wild

There are adjustment nuts on them aren't there? I'd tighten the cables a couple of rounds on the nuts to see if it made a change, but do one side at a time. You haven't by chance hit a rock or something underneath have you? That would have the cable binding in its sheath? Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO