lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
lunaticrider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Speed code 3 to speed code 5?

Since this is all new to me thought I'd ask possibly a stupid question! I have a 2010 club car precedent with just a code 3 (stock?) been reading about the speed code 4 upload that the dealer can install. Soooo can I skip code 4 and go directly to speed code 5 with the programmer? Or do I have to get speed code 4 first? Is the speed code 5 programmer worth it over the code 4 upload? Sorry if this has been touched on before but I cannot search the site from my phone for some reason. Thanks in advance
lunaticrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Speed code 3 to speed code 5?

If you have speed code 4 and install speed code 5 , speed code 4 will be erased and set back to speed code 3. Speed code 5 cost a little more that speed code 4 but you go faster and you keep the programmer. This way if you sell the cart you can set it back to code 3 and use the programmer to put speed code 5 on your next cart. It will only allow you to program one cart at a time, but you can reset the cart to stock and use the programmer on another cart. Hope this helps you .
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
lunaticrider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Do you need speed code 4 before you can upload speed code 5 ? Or can I jump from code 3 to code 5 as long as I purchase the programmer? As of right now I have code 3 and don't want to waste my money on code 4 if it's not necessary. Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

No. You do not need speed code 4 before installing speed code 5.

Speed code 4 is set in the controller by club car. A club car dealer or authorized shop must get the number from club car to unlock speed code 4. That is the reason for the charge, plus the time and labor of the tech.

If you install speed code 5 on a cart that has speed code 4, it will erase the code 4 settings. You would have to go back to the dealer to get it reinstalled. They will have the numbers but the time and labor is usually not free.

Speed code 5 is installed by the owner with a programmer you buy from the people who sell it. It is an after market system and has nothing to do with club car or there dealers as far as I know.

How's that for clear as mud.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
greg-g
Gone Wild

email them and ask
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
lunaticrider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the reply Mr golf, I appreciate it! I have the speed magnet upgrade that the dealer offered to throw into the deal when I purchased the cart now would the speed code 5 still be a good upgrade with the magnet installed with it? Also do you consider the speed code 5 upgrade worth the $140 that the programmer costs?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If you have the magnet you should be getting 20 's mph. The speed code 5 will get you 22-23 mph without the speed magnet. I would not get speed code 5 for 1-2 mph. I would look into getting a bandit motor instead if you want more speed / torque.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
lunaticrider
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am looking for more torque, I am already only 1 of 2 carts at my campground that can climb the big Hill on both sides as the gassers can't make it up. We have 5km of golf cart trails and I plan on shutting the gasser guys up for good! They don't know that I have the magnet but I thought if I installed the code 5 upload that I could climb it with some more authority! Lol
Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Talk to Scotty b about what you want. I'm sure he has a good system that will do the job.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

From what I've read....

If you are at speed code 3 with a half pulse speed magnet installed going to speed code 4 will net you absolutely nothing as with SC3 and magnet you will never kick in the RPM limiter speed wise as you simply run out of power to go faster.

Also the magnet get you absolutely no more torque to which I don't think SC4 gets you any more torque either.

Torque comes from the ability of the controller to deliver more AMPS to the motor and as long as the motor is not maxed out amp wise you will net more torque.

If the SP5 controller unleashes more amps from the controller then yes you get more torque; if not then no... Also check directly with the maker of the SC5 to make sure it is compatible with your cart as if you have an Excel cart you find out the hard way that mo speed and torque is coming to be costly...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car