lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
Strmchzr
Not Yet Wild

Default no spark

i am helping a friend try to get his 03 ezgo going..we have replaced the battery..pulsar coil.(right gap).ignition coil..igniter..still no fire at plugs..dont know where to go from here..any help would be greatly appeciated..thank you in advance..
Strmchzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2022, 08:24 PM   #2
wicked872
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: no spark

check the wires by the reverse buzzer, there is a blue ( i think ) wire that corrodes and produces a no spark.
wicked872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:25 PM   #3
wicked872
Getting Wild
Yamaha

there is also a wire that corrodes off under the black cover by the battery.
wicked872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Are you actually planning to diagnose anything or just replace parts? All the parts you replaced, are they oem ezgo or aftermarket? If they’re aftermarket I would remove them all and put the oem parts back on.

Try and bypass the pedal switch under the floorboard. Lift the floor mat in the middle by the body/seat and there’s an access panel under there. There’s a microswitch inside there that is common to cause this issue. Unplug the wires. Use a jumper wire or paper clip and bypass it. The engine will crank as soon as you turn the key on but it’s an easy check to bypass this and see if you have spark.

Also there’s a metal plate the ignitor, solenoid, and everything is mounted on. These have a tendency to get corrosion underneath them where they mount to the body. Remove it, clean well with a wire brush and bolt it back down. I’d also run a separate ground wire directly from this plate to the negative battery terminal to ensure it is properly grounded. The ignitor and voltage regulator gets ground from this plate.

As for the other parts you’ve replaced, you can test with a meter to verify if they’re working properly or not easy enough, except for the ignitor. I’d only recommend an oem ignitor for this as the aftermarket ones are junk
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #5
Strmchzr
Not Yet Wild

yes he got everything oem..i will check what you said..hopefully it will go ..thank you for your time
Strmchzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:15 PM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strmchzr View Post
yes he got everything oem..
I seriously doubt that. OEM parts have been obsolete for many years.

As already stated, check grounds, check pedal switch, check ignition switch etc. And most importantly, make sure the battery is installed correct polarity. Confirm this with a meter! If battery is the wrong way round, you will not get a spark as the igniter is polarity conscious.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:16 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strmchzr View Post
yes he got everything oem..i will check what you said..hopefully it will go ..thank you for your time
OEM parts haven't been available for a good while so I doubt that is the case.
Cartmaster, you amaze me. Your fingers are faster than me but your youth shines here lol
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:21 PM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Youth

I think I am getting to like you a bit Tom. Despite old school wire connecting device's.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:28 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Well… I am sure you will correct me if I’m wrong CM but wasn’t it at the end 2003 the year they changed to the MCI engine? Oem ignitors and such are still available I believe for the MCI motors…

Though if he really did use OEM parts he’d be around $1k into it with all the stuff replaced… $450 into the ignitor alone…

Also from what trig has said, if the battery is accidentally hooked up backwards even just for a second it will blow out the ignitor.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:06 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I dont know the exact start date of the MCI, but i was always under the impression it was 2004. But then who knows LOL. Maybe Trig!

I gotta be honest, I barely had anything to do with the MCI engines as i had retired my business by the time they became popular in the UK. Although i have a bulletin from EZGO regarding them dated December 2003.

Also, If we are indeed possibly looking at a pre MCI, I can honestly say, all the ones i diagnosed as reversed battery, the igniters never popped and fire right up as soon as i connected the battery the correct way round. The only time i have seen those igniters pop is when the voltage regulator puts out full generator voltage.

Maybe we can confirm which engine he has here as it would also help with the diagnosis.

I guess those MCI igniters have been restocked? last time i looked on shopezgo, they were NLA.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO