lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 ezgo 2 stroke compression question

I have just picked up a 1988 ezgo cart and was told seals were bad. Took motor out and see the clutch seal had sealed a lot. I have the engine on work bench and wrapped a rope around clutch and pulled it over but my compression is 70 psi. Could a bad seal lower my compression? Cat has been sitting for 3 years out side, but engine turns over. Scoping piston and cylinders and everything looks fine with no scratches. Can still see hone marks on cylinder wall. Should I worry about this or put seas in and re-check?
Kbplaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ezgo 2 stroke compression question

Seals have no affect on compression.

At 70 psi, I would have to wonder if pulling it through with a rope was fast enough. The carburetor is spring loaded open, so that should have been ok.

Since you can see hone marks on the walls, I would think it's a new piston. That could also mean the rings aren't seated enough to make good compression.
Look through the exhaust port, and move the piston up, and down. If you see a square port in the side of the piston looking back at you, the piston is in backwards.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

A few things... first, a rope probably wont spin it fast enough for full compression.

Secondly, if it's been sitting for a few years it's not at all uncommon for compression to be low. Once it's running for a few minutes then you can sometimes see a 30-50psi bump as things get re-seated.

I'd put the seals in and run it, see what happens. Not that hard to remove it from the cart if it does need to come back.out again.

While.it is out make sure to do the flywheel side as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys, I had the exhaust and carb off when I did compression test. I was also thinking it didn’t turn over hast enough to get a proper compression reading. Wish I could pick seals up at local parts store so I could get it wrapped up this weekend.
Kbplaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 1988 ezgo 2 stroke compression question

I have yet to find a dealer in my area that actually stocks those seals.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO