lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
GenevaNick
Not Yet Wild

Default Compression Question

Guys, I know this has topic has been covered a bunch but I'm having a hard time putting together a solid idea on what to do.

Here's the deal. Cart starts and runs fine, but I have no power going forward. I did a compression test and was getting between 60 and 70. I know this is low but I am not sure where I need to start with repairs. I saw a thread where a guy just changed his crank seal and that fixed his problem. Could it really be that easy? Any tips for trouble shooting this?
GenevaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Compression Question

That low, you ring job. Easier than changing the crank seals
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 AM   #3
GenevaNick
Not Yet Wild

Has anyone bought piston rings somewhere besides Vintagecarts.com? Does anyone know the specs?
Old 06-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bought piston and rings on E bay. As far as specs MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE . The replacements go out to .050 +.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Rebuild kits for that are widely available. Google is your friend. Personally, I would do the whole top end; piston and cylinder,
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When I said Measure it serves a purpose. If the cylinder and piston are in spec you can do rings only. If the cylinder is not scored but the piston is then rings and piston are in order. It is amazing how many ring only or rings and pistons jobs can be done without reboring or replacing the cylinder if it is an original HD part. Rings only are $20 or so piston and rings $50 or so. Either of the options are good for a couple of seasons of big time riding.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevaNick View Post
Guys, I know this has topic has been covered a bunch but I'm having a hard time putting together a solid idea on what to do.

Here's the deal. Cart starts and runs fine, but I have no power going forward. I did a compression test and was getting between 60 and 70. I know this is low but I am not sure where I need to start with repairs. I saw a thread where a guy just changed his crank seal and that fixed his problem. Could it really be that easy? Any tips for trouble shooting this?
what year is your cart. my self personally id pull it apart for full inspection. These carts are over 30 years old and crank seals are only a matter of time. You don't want it to lean out and ruin a new top end. I hate that the crank case has to be split for Harley crank seals
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
GenevaNick
Not Yet Wild

Cart is a 68. I am think I'm gonna crack it open and see what I am dealing with.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Are you holding the throttle open when doing your compression test?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It is easy enough to pull the head on these carts and do a little lets see if some rings are broken. Not much harder to pull the cylinder and measure where you are.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson