lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #21
Itp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 5kW motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I honestly think the problem is primarily battery voltage sag and possibly the controller.

If you just did lithium, you'd probably be happy.

Are you getting a noticeable increase in torque and acceleration from the 5kw compared to your 4kw Icons? I test drove a i60l today and was surprised how slow off the line it was. It had a good top speed 25mph but it was SLOW to get there even on flat land.
Itp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #22
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itp View Post
Are you getting a noticeable increase in torque and acceleration from the 5kw compared to your 4kw Icons? I test drove a i60l today and was surprised how slow off the line it was. It had a good top speed 25mph but it was SLOW to get there even on flat land.
The 5kw vs 4kw is a bit more peppy and slightly higher speed than the 4kw. I can hit 37/38 on the speedo (5kw) and the 4kw it was (34-36).

I have a buddy with a 2020 4kw i40L and I have a 2021 5kw i40L and I was following him at full speed and I could barely creep up on him when I was following.

More interestingly is the 2021 has better steering/suspension than the 2020 and the battery charger is set back further so you can put 8 batteries in instead of just 6.

I demo'd my garage to build a 2-story thing, so I won't have access to my tools or anything for like 1-3 months to tinker.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #23
Itp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The 5kw vs 4kw is a bit more peppy and slightly higher speed than the 4kw. I can hit 37/38 on the speedo (5kw) and the 4kw it was (34-36).

I have a buddy with a 2020 4kw i40L and I have a 2021 5kw i40L and I was following him at full speed and I could barely creep up on him when I was following.

More interestingly is the 2021 has better steering/suspension than the 2020 and the battery charger is set back further so you can put 8 batteries in instead of just 6.

I demo'd my garage to build a 2-story thing, so I won't have access to my tools or anything for like 1-3 months to tinker.
got it. the dealer i am working with is going to change out the controller and motor on the i60l that i am set to buy (current 4k) with a 5k icon they have on the lot. I have printed off your software setttings from another thread. Are you using the same software settings on your 4k & 5k carts?
Old 08-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #24
ATrain
Gone Wild

I am for the most part. I think I have a few other little things switched, but I can't be sure for a few months when I get my garage/tools back. They're in storage now.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #25
Itp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

update to my above post about dealer swapping out 4k motor and controller for 5k motor and controller on new cart they were going to sell me...they now say it shouldn't be done because its more that just the motor and controller. bummer.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #26
fixed4life
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itp View Post
update to my above post about dealer swapping out 4k motor and controller for 5k motor and controller on new cart they were going to sell me...they now say it shouldn't be done because its more that just the motor and controller. bummer.
The difference between those two motors is the ability to tolerate heat, so it would make sense that they spec the 5kw for sale in hillier areas, although it is likely not so much a calculated decision as it is supply chain based. The 4kw will be lighter and more efficient, only at the sacrifice of being less durable. If the 5kw is actually faster, it would have to be related to default settings in the controller that may be different from the factory or possibly larger battery cables, because all other things being equal (and stock), the 4kw (by the numbers) should be quicker every time.

The 450A controller on the other hand, that has potential to put a little more zip into a cart, but again, with stock batteries and cables, it is just more overhead...
fixed4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:17 PM   #27
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed4life View Post
The difference between those two motors is the ability to tolerate heat, so it would make sense that they spec the 5kw for sale in hillier areas, although it is likely not so much a calculated decision as it is supply chain based. The 4kw will be lighter and more efficient, only at the sacrifice of being less durable. If the 5kw is actually faster, it would have to be related to default settings in the controller that may be different from the factory or possibly larger battery cables, because all other things being equal (and stock), the 4kw (by the numbers) should be quicker every time.

The 450A controller on the other hand, that has potential to put a little more zip into a cart, but again, with stock batteries and cables, it is just more overhead...
I've owned both a 2020 i40L 4kw 350A controller, a 2021 i40L 5kw 450A controller, and a 2020 i60L 350A controller.

My data point to add is, I race my buddy 4kw/350A against my 5kw/450A and I'm tops 2-3 mph faster than him at best in ideal conditions. I don't have enough speed to really pass him except on a long straight away.

We take our carts all around to the beach/bars/etc and I do notice better performance when we're going up a hill...other than that it's negligible.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:12 PM   #28
fixed4life
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I've owned both a 2020 i40L 4kw 350A controller, a 2021 i40L 5kw 450A controller, and a 2020 i60L 350A controller.

My data point to add is, I race my buddy 4kw/350A against my 5kw/450A and I'm tops 2-3 mph faster than him at best in ideal conditions. I don't have enough speed to really pass him except on a long straight away.

We take our carts all around to the beach/bars/etc and I do notice better performance when we're going up a hill...other than that it's negligible.
Assuming all things equal otherwise (tires, alignment, battery age, driver weight, etc) it would be interesting to compare your torque limits map section in neos to see if they are the same.
fixed4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:25 PM   #29
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed4life View Post
Assuming all things equal otherwise (tires, alignment, battery age, driver weight, etc) it would be interesting to compare your torque limits map section in neos to see if they are the same.
They improved something with the steering components from 2021->2022. Mine handles better now.

I've driven his/mine and I programmed his too. The 2022's just have a little more pep it feels like, but not much.

His batteries are older plus he has 6x8v and I have 8x6v.

I can speak to my i60L though vs this one. I'd just say it has a tad more pep.

Truly can barely tell though. The improved steering though I notice.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #30
Vaslim
Not Yet Wild

This is what I got on my '22 i40 in Virginia.
I don't know what it all means, this thing was hitting 30mph right out the "box".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220223_013126015.jpg (145.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220223_013047329.jpg (146.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220223_012755330.jpg (232.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220223_011803921.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
Vaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon