lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
coondog
Getting Wild

Default Body Repair Question

Today while backing up I caught the curb and rippped/tore the lower fender. The tear goes straight up about an 2 inches. I am wondering what is the best way to do this since am getting ready to repaint the cart and would hate to have it not repair this so it will last?
The cart is a 2002 club car DS
Thanks everyone for your help
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Body Repair Question

That amorflex is kinda hard to repair,try to get yourself a used front end.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
coondog
Getting Wild

I was afraid of that...I was just hoping someone had already ran into the same problem and found a solution
Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Drill holes grinde recesses and use fishing line to "sew" it together. Then you can use urethane bumper fix to fill everything. Sand prime paint etc. My old body shop did this alot to mercedes bumpers.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
coondog
Getting Wild

I cannot find a used body anywhere......Thanks for the advice. I am going to weigh my options and see what is going to be the best repair option, so anyone knows any "tricks of the trade" please chime in.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Coondog
So the first step is to take a small cutting wheel and lightly grind down into the tear, what you want to create here is a kind of valley about maybe 1/2" wide if that, you could also use a small mushroom sanding disk if no cutting wheel is available. This will give the two part plastic repair epoxy something good to stick to as there is more surface to bond to than just a crack. If you can try to pull the tear apart just a bit to get some of the epoxy between the tear and then feather it out into the valley untill it is almost level. You need a little room for the primer to sit and to feather that out also so don't go completely flush with the epoxy. You can also scuff up the back and smooth some epoxy back there for extra strength.
If you have an autobody supply store near you I would suggest talking to them to find the correct epoxy to repair plastic as there are plenty out there, just make sure you get one that is designed to be painted over. Good luck
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
coondog
Getting Wild

Thanks everyone for your advice...I ended up finding a body for 50.00 so it is cheaper to replace.

By the way....Master66 is right on for the repair.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint