lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
vickerstam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy CC DS 1990 headlights and turn signal 8 wire help

I have a 1990 Club Car DS 36 volt golf cart that i am having trouble adding the 8 wire turn signal. my tail lights have 2 wires and one ground bolt and I am not sure which wire i need to tie into the brake or running light? I have followed the diagram except when it comes to the tail lights.
I also need to know which wire/screw i need to add the brack light switch to?
If anyone knows where i can find the head/tail light diagram i sure would apprichate a copy of it so that i can confirm if the head lights are wired correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunsignal-diagram.jpg (28.8 KB, 30 views)
vickerstam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Hotcat
What in the?

E-Z-GO

Default Re: CC DS 1990 headlights and turn signal 8 wire help

Ground the bolt and feed 12V to either wire at the tail light, which ever gets brighter is your brake light, the dimmer is your running lights.

Whats wrong with the diagram you posted?

The orange and brown wires going to the rear lights serve as your turn signals and brake lights. The brake circuit goes like this...12V+~~~(normally open)brake switch~~~red wire at turn signal switch.

That same wiring diagram has been posted here many times.
Hotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
vickerstam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I followed the insutions and i have no power on the turn signal, i can get the hazard light to come on but it does not blik and i get no blinkers on the tail lights. could this be because i do not have the brake light switch on the correct post?

Also when it says to wire to 12volts is it ok to have the turn signal attached to the fuse power board?
Or do i need to run them strat to the batter?

Last edited by vickerstam; 05-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: added question
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

are your tail lights led?
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
vickerstam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

now they are the original 2 fase blubs.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

You speek of a ground bolt? Electric carts require that all lights and accesories ground back to battery pack ( 36 volt ) ground NOT A FRAME GROUND. If you dont have 3 wires coming out of tail lights you will need to get a 3 wire pig tail from auto parts stores. Then one wire will be connected to outer shell that bulb fits into, while other 2 wires contacts go to tail light and brake light bulb which is brighter.
Also turn signal switch should be insulated from steering column for same reason as above.
Brake light switch connects to turn signal ( RED ) wire as shown in diagram posted.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
vickerstam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the gound bolt wires do run back to the front of the cart and are connected to the switch ground wires. I belive these are the original lights from 1990. the head lights also have the high beans, it's just confusing to me as i was not the orignal owner and tracing these wires have been a pain in the **. I am thinking about rewiring the tail lights all over as they are pigteld both rear lights together and my turn signal have individual wires for each light. this will cost me a little cash but will allow me to insure i am tieing the blinkers to the correct light wire..

On the backside of the tail light there is 1 red wire, 1 brown wire, and a screw with ground wire attached that runs back to the battery ground wire. The turn signal (kit) wires came with an insulated sheave that runs along the steering column.

Questions:
1 does the color matter, or should i just test to see which is brighter?
2 Brake light switch connects to turn signal ( RED ) wire, but when i am connecting it to the brake switch which post do i attach it to?

Thank you for replying and helpping me.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Hotcat
What in the?

E-Z-GO

Answer

1. Yes colors matter, but do as I said earlier and confirm which wire is for the brake/running lights.

2. The brake light switch may have 3 posts, common, normally open, normally closed. If you hook it up wrong the lights will either not work, or stay on with the pedal released and go out with the pedal applied.
Hotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
vickerstam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Re: CC DS 1990 headlights and turn signal 8 wire help

Thank you, i have all of the lights working, woh i gland thats done. Thanks to everyone who has replied to this post.

I also found that the flasher fuse that was supplied in the trun signal kit did not mach the diagram so i had to change the order of the pigtail to match the color code provided.

Tags
1990 club cart, clud car ds, headlights, turn signal 8 wire
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car