lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Wiring schematic for Yamaha brand recessed headlights?

Hi everyone! My G16 was pre-wired for recessed headlights and tail-lights by a previous owner (someone removed the lights and took them before I got the cart), and I recently picked up the Yamaha brand recessed headlights to install them back in the cart.

I'm having a hard time determining which wire colors on the lights are for what, and since they didn't come with a wiring diagram. Each assembly has a red, black, and white wire-- a ground wire, head lamp, and parking lamp (turn signal).

Normally I would assume black is ground, but not in this case apparently. I determined white was ground, red is headlamp, and black is parking light/turn signal, but everytime I wire both lights up like this and kick on the switch the fuse pops. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these lights, or does anyone know which wire is used for what? Thanks!

-Andrew
AGrayson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Wiring schematic for Yamaha brand recessed headlights?

Andy, I am afraid you are on your own with this because we don't know what the PO did or didn't do. Trace the wires back and make a drawing as you go.

GOOD LUCK.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the reply! I should have been more clear. I was able to figure the cart wiring weeks ago.... Its the wiring for the actual Yamaha headlamp assemblies that I can't figure out for sure what wire is ground.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrayson84 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I should have been more clear. I was able to figure the cart wiring weeks ago.... Its the wiring for the actual Yamaha headlamp assemblies that I can't figure out for sure what wire is ground.
Concierge cars have the headlite wireing tied into the main wire harness, so I understand your problem. Try this...www.yamahagolfcar.com Click service, click view owners manuals,click 2000, click transpertaion vehicles,click concierge gas g20a. View pdf, at the last of the owners manual is a wiring diagram and codes. Sorry I could not downlad and save to show you. Or you could just use a volt meter. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Concierge cars have the headlite wireing tied into the main wire harness, so I understand your problem. Try this...www.yamahagolfcar.com Click service, click view owners manuals,click 2000, click transpertaion vehicles,click concierge gas g20a. View pdf, at the last of the owners manual is a wiring diagram and codes. Sorry I could not downlad and save to show you. Or you could just use a volt meter. Good luck
Thank you, as always Smallblock. I think someone had purchased an aftermarket kit for this thing, because all of the wiring for the lights was in a separate run of plastic conduit with cut-off wires and such. I had to take the whole harness apart and figure out what was what. So the light wiring that runs throughout the cart is good, I know what is what there, but when I look at the back of the actual Yamaha brand headlamp assemblies that I now have, I don't know which of the 3 wires is ground.

The white wire runs to both the parking lamp and the halogen headlamp, which made me think that the white was the ground. The red wire runs to the halogen lamp as well, and the black wire runs to the parking lamp. So I figured red was hot for the headlamp, black was hot for the parking lamp, and white was ground. But when I hook white to chassis ground (a known, good ground) for testing purposes, and hook the red wire to 12v+, both the headlamp and the parking light come on. I don't get it lol.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Have pictures of the lites your useing?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I can get some this weekend. Going to have limited Internet access where I'm going to be, but I'll have the cart and my Droid with me so I'll see what I can do! Otherwise I can just post up when I get back home Sunday. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha