lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 84 G1, new brake shoes but cant get hubs back on

I am fixing up and old G1. the cart runs great but the brakes always sucked. I replaced both cables and shoes. The cables were old and corroded. It was very difficult to get the hubs off the back wheels. Even after adjusting as far in as you can go I still had to use a mallet and force the hubs off. After replacing the shoes and cleaning everything up... the auto adjuster and slider now seem to work. I noticed the inside of the hubs are worn and have deep ridges... are they supposed to be smooth? In any case.... I cannot get them back on. With the shoes adjusted in as far as they can go the hubs will not fit back on. I took the hubs to a local tire place and asked if they could take off .040-.050 using the lathe. Unfortunately, the arm to the lathe is too big and will not fit into the hub diameter. I do not want to purchase new hubs. I know the shoes are correct so what's the deal here?? Could it be these hubs are the wrong size? which is why I had such a hard time getting them off?? My only option at this point is to modify the brake shoes by grinding a few thousand off each contact point. I know this is not brain surgery, the auto-adjusting system is pretty basic, however, on this G1 there is no external adjusting screw. The pivot is hard mounted with no pivot movement. There is one adjustment screw for the bottom spring and one screw to tighten ( or loosen) the slider. There is absolutely no way I can figure out how to get the shoes to adjust in a few more thousands in order to have the hubs slide back on. Could it be something as simple as the springs? They look fine but maybe they have stretched out ?? Im so confused ugggg
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 84 G1, new brake shoes but cant get hubs back on

Did you get the correct shoes? There are 2 styles with the G1. 79-81 with all 4 shoes being the same. 82 and later have a leading and trailing shoe with the longer shoe going to the rear.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

You probable didnt need new brake shoes, but get them properly adjusted, which believe it or not 95% of shops, do it wrong.
Id say, with your issue, you installed the wrong brake shoes.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

My G1 is an 83 and I did purchase the wrong brake shoes!! I just went by the shoes I took off which obviously were the wrong kind. No wonder it was so difficult to remove the hubs. Live and learn... Thanks for the info
Old 11-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I have a 1983 G1 and my brakes suck. I bought new pads and i think i got the wrong ones. They are all 4 the same length. Anyway, i still have no stopping power. I did not have any problems getting my drums back on. I can only see very little pad movement when i press the brake. I would luv to see a video of how these brake pads move in and out when pedal is pushed. Good luck to all of us, lol
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

If you can find an old school automotive machine shop they may be able to arch the new shoes to fit the diameter of the drums. This is an old school process to get near 100% contact with the drum but something nobody gives a crap about anymore. If your current drums have a ridge then they may need to be resurfaced or replaced. I don't know if drums that small can be resurfaced or not but they're not that expensive to replace. In automotive trade there is a limit to how much material can be removed from a drum. What is the point replacing the shoes if you don't have a good contact surface for them to mate up against?
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYS FARM View Post
My only option at this point is to modify the brake shoes by grinding a few thousand off each contact point.
I ended up doing that on my Cushman ... in my case, I replaced the rear wheel cylinders with the closest version that I could find. It turned out that the width of the new wheel cylinders was about 0.100" wider (as I recall) than the old ones.

I ended up grinding the contacts points of the brake shoes to fit ... it was a trial and error process as I could not take off too much as my drum brakes are not equipped with adjusters. The only adjustment that I can make is by adjusting the parking brake cable.

As I said, it was a trial and error ... trim a measured amount, reinstall the brake shoes, install the wheel hub onto the axle, install the brake drum and then check for rotational drag. Still too tight ... remove the brake drum, pull the axle hub, remove the brake shoes ... trim and repeat until there was only very minor drag when rotating the drums.

So I believe it can be done but it was a lot of work ... if getting the correct brake shoes is possible, that sounds like the best solution.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
If you can find an old school automotive machine shop they may be able to arch the new shoes to fit the diameter of the drums. This is an old school process to get near 100% contact with the drum but something nobody gives a crap about anymore. If your current drums have a ridge then they may need to be resurfaced or replaced. I don't know if drums that small can be resurfaced or not but they're not that expensive to replace. In automotive trade there is a limit to how much material can be removed from a drum. What is the point replacing the shoes if you don't have a good contact surface for them to mate up against?
First think you need to do is get the right shoes and possibly drums. Next make sure the cables are operating freely disconnect them at both ends and be sure they move freely full motion by hand. Then check the actuators are working freely these slide when the cables pulled. Then adjust to spec via the service manual
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I ordered the correct shoes. They were a bit pricy but found a good deal on eBay. I already replaced both brake cables. The hubs are pretty ridged but can't find anyone with a lathe to turn them. Hopefully, with the correct shoes, I'll have enough stopping power. I looked into new hubs but I'm trying to keep costs down. Any links for reasonably priced used parts out there???
Old 11-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Hope you got OEM shoes, aftermarket one's won't stop the cart ! Make shure you screw the self adjusters to fully "closed" position. Also, "back off" the brake cable adjuster at the brake pedal. Sorry to say, your new shoes won't last like they should with scored drums. Good luck !
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha