lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
JeffJulian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New D&D Torque Motor (4:1) - Not Seeing 40% Torque

I have a 2006 EZGO TXT Series cart with the 4ga upgrade and now a new D&D Electric Motor (4:1 - described as 40% more torque with stock controller and 36v). My neighborhood is full of hills and we use the cart to take our kids to the bus stop and goof off around our neighborhood.

After adding the motor, I was expecting to see a little more power and speed going up our hills than I am actually seeing. Am I expecting too much from a golf cart? Do I need to continue down the path adding a 500amp controller? What is 40% more torque suppose to deliver if not pull up a hill at higher speed than 2-3 mph.
JeffJulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: New D&D Torque Motor (4:1) - Not Seeing 40% Torque

have you checked the condition of your batteries?
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
JeffJulian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Batteries were replaced about a year ago, water levels are good. I always charge after we use it. I installed a battery gauge and it reads full during my tests.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, a bigger controller like the 480 LGS or 500 Alltrax will wake that motor up. Right now, it is limited by the stock controller only allowing 275a at any time.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJulian View Post
After adding the motor, I was expecting to see a little more power and speed going up our hills than I am actually seeing. Am I expecting too much from a golf cart? Do I need to continue down the path adding a 500amp controller? What is 40% more torque suppose to deliver if not pull up a hill at higher speed than 2-3 mph.
Adding 40% more torque will not increase the speed of your climb up a hill. What it will do is reduce the strain that the motor is putting on the controller to deliver power. As Scotty has already stated, you need to increase the size of your controller to increase the speed at which you are climbing those hills. The stock controller simply doesn't have the ability to send out enough power to that motor.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
JeffJulian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So if I get a 500 amp controller, what else will I have to replace because of the higher amps gaining through the system?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The solenoid.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJulian View Post
I have a 2006 EZGO TXT Series cart with the 4ga upgrade and now a new D&D Electric Motor (4:1 - described as 40% more torque with stock controller and 36v). My neighborhood is full of hills and we use the cart to take our kids to the bus stop and goof off around our neighborhood.

Been there with the 4:1 and 36v. Only 48v will wake it up significantly. The stock motor has zero torque so 40% more than stock is still zero! Using a high current (500A) contactor I bypassed the FNR, the solenoid and the speed board (controller) so effectively eliminating any current/voltage robbing components with no improvement.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
JeffJulian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I put in an AllTrax 400amp controller (AXE4845) and I am still not seeing any improvements up hills. At 400 amps, do I need to replace the Solenoid and if so, why? On the D&D website, it says my current setup should be :

Vehicle Speed: 12 mph
Torque Enhancement: + 60 %
Motor RPM: 2780
Peak HP: 8

When I go up hills, someone could still walk next to the cart and keep up. My wife is probably not going to let me do much else under-the-seat unless I will actually see a difference.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Do the 48v upgrade. That will give you the best use of your motor. 48v will give more speed too.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d&d, ezgo, torque, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO