lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
uncleR0B
Not Yet Wild

Question G14e is unresponsive

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster...

Have a Yamaha G14e. Reverse buzzer started sounding constantly. Unplugged it, no problems. A week later, cart no longer runs. First thing I did was hook it back up- no change. I've tried testing things I've read on the web. Solenoid is clicking,tried jumping small side to small side, Batteries are reading 48.2 as a pack, all are in the same region (not one worse than the others), checked all the connections. Anything I'm missing? Any ideas for next troubleshooting session? Others lead me to a bad controller. Just want to be sure before I get a new one. Forgot to say, its completely stock with a rear seat.
uncleR0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G14e is unresponsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleR0B View Post
Hey guys, long time reader first time poster...

Have a Yamaha G14e. Reverse buzzer started sounding constantly. Unplugged it, no problems. A week later, cart no longer runs. First thing I did was hook it back up- no change. I've tried testing things I've read on the web. Solenoid is clicking,tried jumping small side to small side, Batteries are reading 48.2 as a pack, all are in the same region (not one worse than the others), checked all the connections. Anything I'm missing? Any ideas for next troubleshooting session? Others lead me to a bad controller. Just want to be sure before I get a new one. Forgot to say, its completely stock with a rear seat.
That's a dead short that could complicate the trouble. You should get the solenoid clicking when you try to go, key on, in gear,pedal depressed. No click? same test with the test voltmeter leads on the small posts. You should read the pack voltage.
If no, put the red test lead on battery (+) and see if you get 48v from either post. If yes that post is (-). Repeat with black test lead on battery (-) and check both posts when key on, in gear, pedal depressed. If either post reads 48v it is (+).
One of these small posts is (-) and other is (+) when the solenoid will click. This is where you need to know which polarity you are missing if the solenoid will not click.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
uncleR0B
Not Yet Wild

I do get a click when key is on, in gear and pedal depressed. Voltage across the small posts is good. And read voltage through the solenoid all the way back to (+) post on controller. Is this pointing towards controller now? There is some sort of resistor on the solenoid, not sure what its doing. Would that affect anything?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's called a Pre-charge resistor. It allows low current to flow around the solenoid to charge the large caps in the controller.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
uncleR0B
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That's a dead short that could complicate the trouble. You should get the solenoid clicking when you try to go, key on, in gear,pedal depressed. No click? same test with the test voltmeter leads on the small posts. You should read the pack voltage.
If no, put the red test lead on battery (+) and see if you get 48v from either post. If yes that post is (-). Repeat with black test lead on battery (-) and check both posts when key on, in gear, pedal depressed. If either post reads 48v it is (+).
One of these small posts is (-) and other is (+) when the solenoid will click. This is where you need to know which polarity you are missing if the solenoid will not click.
I sent the controller off to be rebuilt. They said they found some stuff that was burnt up and fixed it. It now does the same thing. Reverse buzzer stays on, no movement. I do not get voltage across the small posts when I press the pedal (key on, in gear). I do however get a reading on the switch side when the pedal is NOT pressed. Bad solenoid right?? I shouldn't get voltage unless the pedal is pressed telling it to go, right? I get a reading from (+) battery to small black post. But nothing from (-) bat to other post. Does this help any with the diagnosis? IF its the solenoid, its appears to be stuck closed (sending power constantly) so wouldn't the cart still go? or is this causing other issues? HELP please LoL

***It is a 36v cart not 48 as I mis typed earlier in the thread.***

Last edited by uncleR0B; 10-15-2016 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: wrong voltage posted in thread.

Tags
bad controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha