lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Default Buying First Cart..Which of these carts should I pull the trigger on?

I have three options in front of me for a cart. I'm primarily buying the cart to help get my kids out on our property, particularly my son who has some special needs.

The property is mostly hardpacked dirt roads, but one area with a long, steep grade.

Here are my options:
Mid-2000's Precedent (3k)
- Bandit motor
- Alltrax 400a controller
- 3 month old Trojan batteries
- Heavy duty solenoid
- Jakes 6" lift
-New tires
- Upgraded battery cables
- Seats for four (with seatbelts a plus for my son)

Newer model DS (1.5k)
- Needs batteries
- Would need to get seats for four
- Everything stock

Older model DS (1k)
- Needs batteries/tires/seats/etc...

The Precedent seems like a great deal given I can get out their immediately... do you think I'll need more torque and end up needing to replace everything? The others are definitely projects and appear to need a lot of time/$.

Let me hear from the experts as I'm a novice and just looking to find a good cart to get the kids out in the woods and as far away from iPads as possible :)
Sethmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Buying First Cart..Which of the Three Would You Pick?

The precedent would need a torque motor before too long. I burned the brushes up in my bandit motor driving slow with a 350 amp controller
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

As Mr. Golf said, Plum Quick does not recommend anything high amp for their Bandit motors.

But for the money, value, and condition, I would go with the Precedent all the way! (Hard for me to say that since I am a DS guy) Now, if you have the time, you can save the $1500 and easily place a back seat and springs with a new set of batteries for $1000-$1100 on the new model DS.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Given what I would like to do, cart around kids on hilly terrain...carryout corn, etc...

Would it be wiser to try to talk down the price of the DS and get a 500amp with a torque motor. Not sure how many of the bells and whistles on the precedent are actually valuable (e.g. lift, etc...)
Sethmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You put an XCT-500, 2awg cables, 400 amp solenoid, and an Admiral A4 high torque motor and you can pull the gates off of He!! with no problems....

Check this out https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-club-car-prec and then call David at 706-431-3917 for a package deal!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Buying First Cart..Which of these carts should I pull the trigger on?

Mid-2000's Precedent (3k)
- Bandit motor
- Alltrax 400a controller
- 3 month old Trojan batteries
- Heavy duty solenoid
- Jakes 6" lift
-New tires
- Upgraded battery cables
- Seats for four (with seatbelts a plus for my son)

Good deal, I use the same motor, controller combo on the streets for over 3 years now with no problems. Jump on it....
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You put an XCT-500, 2awg cables, 400 amp solenoid, and an Admiral A4 high torque motor and you can pull the gates off of He!! with no problems....

Check this out https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-club-car-prec and then call David at 706-431-3917 for a package deal!
Top speed with 4 aboard? On the streets I find very little need for massive pulling power, but the speed is a must...
Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
Top speed with 4 aboard? On the streets I find very little need for massive pulling power, but the speed is a must...
With the correct map in place and speed tuned, 28 or so easily, but no telling with the 4 people due to ranging weights, pack voltage, lithium or FLA, etc. That is a high torque motor so it would carry more people at a higher speed then a high speed motor would...
Old 06-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Buying First Cart..Which of these carts should I pull the trigger on?

Get the Precedent. It already has 1000 dollars in upgrades minimum. Not to mention solid batteries.
The DS models aren’t a horrible deal or anything, but you’re gonna end up spending over 3K upgrading those models.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
With the correct map in place and speed tuned, 28 or so easily, but no telling with the 4 people due to ranging weights, pack voltage, lithium or FLA, etc. That is a high torque motor so it would carry more people at a higher speed then a high speed motor would...
Thanks. I plan to go lithium in the near future, but as of now, the Bandit/400a Alltrex with Trojan 160's is doing a great job for me. Getting 28 to 30 with four aboard and still gets thru intersections with no problem and travels 20 Miles per charge with no problem . Changing to an Alltrax 500 and PQ executioner this next month, but just because I have a need for more speed....

I posted a thread asking if anyone has tried a high torque motor with high speed gears, but no replies...torque may go away with the gears...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car