lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #11
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Power Drive Charger and Lithium Batterys ?

Roger that Sergio! and I do like that power chord you found on Amazon. It would be a clean replacement for the Power Drive charge receptacle.

Thanks again for you help!
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
I'd like to now how he plans on limiting the max discharge current to the specification cited on their website.
That is a good question. He got the lithium's installed and was disappointed that they didn't perform like his FLA batteries, less speed & torque. The data I saw stated limit charge/discharge to 50 amps. Could the stock Curtis controller and stock motor able to draw more amps than the 4 batteries can deliver? Could the battery BMS be limiting the amp output?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

They make different AH models, do You know which ones he bought?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
They make different AH models, do You know which ones he bought?
He purchased (4) 12v-50AH and he claims his re-used stock cables (I assume 6ga) between the batteries are getting hot. He claims they are in good condition.

Last edited by Hunter450; 10-17-2018 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: added wording
Old 10-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
He purchased (4) 12v-50AH and he claims his re-used stock cables (I assume 6ga) between the batteries are getting hot. He claims they are in good condition.
Getting Hot is the definition of not good condition.

50AH is pretty light weight but he will need to fix the cables first.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
That is a good question. He got the lithium's installed and was disappointed that they didn't perform like his FLA batteries, less speed & torque. The data I saw stated limit charge/discharge to 50 amps. Could the stock Curtis controller and stock motor able to draw more amps than the 4 batteries can deliver? Could the battery BMS be limiting the amp output?
1. Yes a stock cart can easily draw more than 50 amps. For reference, my cart draws 60 amps continuous at 5200 RPM on flat ground. The rapid acceleration, and uphill (read torque), current draw is significantly higher.

2. I don't know what his 4 batteries can deliver safely. The specification on their website is cause for additional questions. Perhaps this question should be directed at the supplier. You might also inquire about a Peak Discharge Current specification.

3. If the batteries are rated at 50A Maximum Continuous Discharge Current, then the entire pack is also 50A (wired in Series).

4. I do not know if the BMS has a Discharge Current Cut-Off. Again, perhaps that question should be directed at the supplier.

5. You might also ask what will happen if the cart regeneration current exceeds the battery charge current specification.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
1. Yes a stock cart can easily draw more than 50 amps. For reference, my cart draws 60 amps continuous at 5200 RPM on flat ground. The rapid acceleration, and uphill (read torque), current draw is significantly higher.

2. I don't know what his 4 batteries can deliver safely. The specification on their website is cause for additional questions. Perhaps this question should be directed at the supplier. You might also inquire about a Peak Discharge Current specification.

3. If the batteries are rated at 50A Maximum Continuous Discharge Current, then the entire pack is also 50A (wired in Series).

4. I do not know if the BMS has a Discharge Current Cut-Off. Again, perhaps that question should be directed at the supplier.

5. You might also ask what will happen if the cart regeneration current exceeds the battery charge current specification.
50 amps is not the same as 50 AH.

My leaf pack is rated at 64 AH from Nissan. It can deliver 240 amps sustained, and 540 amps peak. Realistic capacity when new is 60 AH, and I have about 45 AH usable.

Most lithium cells can deliver more than 1C.

Their specs indicate sustained 50 amps, peak 300 amps.

If he is careful on acceleration, it will be ok. Marginal but ok. I draw about 40 amps when running at 20 mph on flat ground on asphalt. Accelerating from a dead stop, full throttle, peak is about 140 amps. I personally think 40 amps on flat ground is too close to the published spec of 50 amps. But they are probably being conservative on the sustained amp spec.

But with a $2400 pack, I would be erroring on the safe side.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

ag4ever, he does not have straight cells, the current in/out is controlled by an internal BMS in each battery.

I mentioned back in post #6 that folks have had negative comments about those 12v battery packs having issues with current load and/or Regen current.

They can deliver 300A for 5 seconds or 215A for however long "Cranking Amps" last.

The maximum continuous discharge is 50 amps.

Check it out:
https://www.lithiumbatterypower.com/collections/lithium-battery/products/12v-50ah-lithium-battery
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I do not know about y'all, but any site that in their main header lists "Home to one of the largest inventories of lithium batteries in North America! 12 volts to 48 bolts and everything in between !" would kinda scare me from the onset.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #20
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4ever View Post
50 amps is not the same as 50 AH.
I never said they were the same.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car