lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #11
alchemy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Brakeing new battries

thank you, I've read some of this but that first one appears more detailed than one I read from them. In that one at one place it says "Add water until the electrolyte level is 1/8″ below the bottom of the fill well."
I like that idea but that's not the same as some other professional recommendations. Something I will add is that the electrolyte actually significantly expands and contracts by discharge and charge, respectively. I was shocked to directly find that out once. That's weird! That's at least partly why the SG changes and why SG indicates charge. That's weird too.
Their directions seem a little confusing where I got that quote. Just before that it says just barely cover the plates before charging. Maybe that's why, because of expansion?
As for "1/8" below fill well" as they state, not sure about anyone else but I have a heck of time being accurate anywhere but the base of the fill well. That is until I made an adjustable fill device. I need to get a pic of it. The idea is generally the same as the plain old fill bottles which vapor lock and stop when the liquid reaches the end of the outlet as long as you have the outlet pressed against the cell opening. Only difference is my bottle is 2 gal. clear glass with a hose and valve and the tip is set to insert to whatever the right level is and it automatically will stop at that level because of vapor lock, just as fill bottles should do. Still, some sources call the base of the fill well (cylinder) the fill indicator. When you fill to that point and at the exact second you see and immediate change that looks like an eye shape which I had always considered the end point. You have to have good light but it looks like someone flicked a switch to change the image of the surface right at that point. However, I personally would prefer a little less than that, as recommended in that pdf because it may help some with electrolyte spitting out of the vents when charging and in case you filled in too charged of a state and it expands as it discharges. I don't think you can completely eliminate the caps spitting out though no matter how low you run the electrolyte. It mists up and spits out no matter how low. At least my NAPA caps do. With caps off it goes as high as 18" at least and you don't even see it except corrosion dots on your cart. It's too early to say anything but so far the pack that I put hosed vents on from a modified single point watering system have been absolutely dry as a bone with no electrolyte stains anywhere. I'm now wishing I could pick up more of those type caps and hose fittings. So far it's worked perfectly. All batteries are vented into one line which vents to the ground behind the axle. Even used they are too expensive though imo. I got mine "free" because no way was I going to use it to fill batteries so I switched it to just use for venting. So far it's been perfect. Caps which don't let electrolyte stain the tops of your batteries would be good discussion too.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 AM   #12
john11139
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: breaking in new batteries

I have a new Modz charger. First time I charged new battery, the flashing green light came on and from what I read that meant fully charged. It showed slightly over 56 volts, so I un plugged the charger. I drove the cart quite a bit yesterday and voltage read around 49.9 so I figured I would plug the charger back in and charge it again. I went back to check on it in about 4 hours and the batteries were bubbling and gassing through the vents . The voltage showed 62 volts so I unplugged the charger thinking that it was defective and wasn't going to shut off. So what should the voltage be when the charger shuts off and will they boil like that every time I charge the batteries ? I have to go out this morning and clean the acid off around the vent caps
john11139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 AM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by john11139 View Post
I have a new Modz charger. First time I charged new battery, the flashing green light came on and from what I read that meant fully charged. It showed slightly over 56 volts, so I un plugged the charger. I drove the cart quite a bit yesterday and voltage read around 49.9 so I figured I would plug the charger back in and charge it again. I went back to check on it in about 4 hours and the batteries were bubbling and gassing through the vents . The voltage showed 62 volts so I unplugged the charger thinking that it was defective and wasn't going to shut off. So what should the voltage be when the charger shuts off and will they boil like that every time I charge the batteries ? I have to go out this morning and clean the acid off around the vent caps
Plug it back in and let it go. It knows what to do and can't do it with you messing with it. Let it do it's thing. The new batteries are supposed to do that. Let it alone and only that way will you know if the charger and the batteries are doing what they are supposed to do. Higher voltage is normal while charging. Let it go.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #14
john11139
Not Yet Wild

So at what voltage should charger cut back? I appreciate all the help you fellows have given me as I am new to golf carts. Will the batteries boil like this every time? And what should the voltage reading be before you plug the charger back in?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:32 AM   #15
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by john11139 View Post
So at what voltage should charger cut back? I appreciate all the help you fellows have given me as I am new to golf carts. Will the batteries boil like this every time? And what should the voltage reading be before you plug the charger back in?
You can easily see voltage as high as 65 volts during the charge process. No they will not boil (bubble) like this every time, after a few cycles they will settle down. Get in the habit of recharging any time your not in motion and absolutely charge when your static at rest voltage dips below 49 volts...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
alchemy
Gone Wild

I'm not used to a 48V CC OBC yet, just got it 2 months ago but my yamaha 36V with lester II charger would go to 46 something which is about the same as 62V on a 48V cart. I think that's when the batteries were almost new. Lately I've only been getting 45 something max and it concerns me a little. On my 48V CC so far I've only got 58 max and wish I could hit 62 and knock off some sulfate. I'd follow their advice for sure.
Definitely keep them washed down. I do so very gently so it doesn't splash on other electronics. You don't want baking soda or neutralized baking soda (sodium sulfate) splashing on your electronics either. Baking soda is good to steel frame, sodium sulfate not. Still thinking about how they effect aluminum as on these carts but I know sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbs big brother, is not nice to aluminum. None is good to copper or brass.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #17
john11139
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
You can easily see voltage as high as 65 volts during the charge process. No they will not boil (bubble) like this every time, after a few cycles they will settle down. Get in the habit of recharging any time your not in motion and absolutely charge when your static at rest voltage dips below 49 volts...
Thanks for straighten me out. Plugged charger back in and it was on for about a hour and shut off at about 62.3 very little boiling.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car