lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Tow/Run Switch

I have two questions.

First, does it matter if the cart is in Tow or Run when charging?

Second, when I charge the cart I always put it in Tow mode. When I go to use the cart when it's done charging the next day I flip the switch to Run and turn the ignition to "on". Then nothing, it won't move, reverse buzzer doesn't sound. I then turn the ignition"off" and press the go pedal down. Turn the ignition on and everything works normal. It has always done this. Is this normal? Does the controller need to be woken up?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Tow/Run Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I have two questions.

First, does it matter if the cart is in Tow or Run when charging? Nope....

Second, when I charge the cart I always put it in Tow mode. When I go to use the cart when it's done charging the next day I flip the switch to Run and turn the ignition to "on". Then nothing, it won't move, reverse buzzer doesn't sound. I then turn the ignition"off" and press the go pedal down. Turn the ignition on and everything works normal. It has always done this. Is this normal? Does the controller need to be woken up? The controller went into "sleep" mode.
Roll with it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

X2, everything you describe is normal behavior for an IQ cart
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Controller is fine, the OBC is what goes to sleep after a few days if the charger DC plug is not left left plugged in to the cart.

Pressing the Accelerator pedal will send +48v to the OBC Yellow wire which wakes it up, after a couple of seconds the OBC will put the Controller out of lockout.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The Controller is fine, the OBC is what goes to sleep after a few days if the charger DC plug is not left left plugged in to the cart.

Pressing the Accelerator pedal will send +48v to the OBC Yellow wire which wakes it up, after a couple of seconds the OBC will put the Controller out of lockout.
And here all along I thought it was the controller that went to sleep...
Old 04-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That was my typo, but the relevant point of the post and the answer was it was sleep mode causing the action and not a problem.

And Jake, I know you know it is the OBC because when you remove the OBC or fully bypass it (Blue and White wires cut and spliced together) it can never happen again.

And if we are going to get to inth degree of technical here, lets be sure everyone reading this knows this is isolated to only the Regen carts with smart (logic) controllers. On the the old Series carts, the OBC did not work this way and did not have to supply >35v to satisfy the "Lockout" signal to the Curtis controller. (It supplied the Negative to the activation circuit of solenoid and is why the cart was inoperable while plugged in to the charger. The OBC disabled the circuit when sensing the plug inserted)
Old 04-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Oh yeah, I knew that, right

Actually I've learned a lot from this thread. I've never bypassed an OBC, or even driven a cart with a bypassed OBC.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Lol! Well now you are ready buddy.... (and since you are always helping others, you now have more knowledge in your stable to pull from!)
Old 04-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Haha. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car