lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Monziac
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v motor 48 volt batteries conversion

Hi all, I have a 97 Club Car Series cart with resistor pack and vslide pedal. This is my first electric cart but I am an experienced auto mechanic. I have read that I can upgrade the cart to 48v and use the 36v motor for increased speed? Is that accurate? If so do I just need an Alltex controller and which one, HD Solenoid, and 48v pack batteries? Trying to do this on a budget as I am building this for my Mom who just wants to cruise around. Who has a good kit to do this? Thanks, Jon

Last edited by Monziac; 02-09-2021 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Monziac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 36v motor 48 volt batteries conversion

Just my .02

You CAN slap 48v batteries in it, buy a 48v charger and it will run great... for a while. Depending on how you use it, and what condition it’s in now it could last a week or it could last years.

Once it blows the resistor or melts the v-glide contacts, you’ll need to convert to 48v proper. You could convert yourself custom, or ScottyB offers a conversion kit to change from the toaster coils to a solid state controller system. Either way, it’s not going to be cheap.

What are the end goals here? Depending on what you’re looking to get out of it in the end, it may be money well spent buying a newer cart that’s already solid state controller based. The resistor setup really limits what you’ll be able to do with it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
Monziac
Not Yet Wild

Interesting... My goal is to get my Mom a cart that she can drive around her community in. Cart was free so I want to upgrade it for her spray it Corvette red with some left over paint I have and get it driving 15 -18 MPh. I want it to last and be safe for her so I do t want the motor blowing or melting things. How do I check out Scotty B’s kits? Money isn’t the problem I just don’t want to go overboard with it if I don’t have to. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Click on the link in my signature below.
Then from the cartsunlimited.net homepage click conversion kits.
You can also read why convert to solid-state.
If mom is using the golf cart for transportation on the streets and golf course and you are converting to 48 V then the C 42 Kit would be just right.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
Monziac
Not Yet Wild

Yes that is exactly what she will be using it for and it’s Florida so no hills. I will check out your kits and decide. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
Monziac
Not Yet Wild

Where is the best place to buy 8 volt batteries also? I am used to things running on gas... ha! Thanks!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Google Golf Cart battery dealer near me. I did and I got free shipping offers but I also got almost all of the local offering too... plus don't forget sams or costco. When buying batteries AMP HOURS is somewhat equivalent to horsepower. You want the highest amp hour you can squeeze from the budget
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
Monziac
Not Yet Wild

Great knowledge transfer, thank a bunch!

Jon
Old 02-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

thanks Scotty. I knew you’d have the answers
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:24 AM   #10
Monziac
Not Yet Wild

I just ordered your kit C42. Let me know if I selected the right one. I hope it comes with instructions... Ha! Do I need to upgrade to 4AWG wires?

Thanks again!

Jon

Last edited by Monziac; 02-10-2021 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Content
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car