lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
speedy
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller options for series cart

I am upgrading my '94 cart from 36 to 48V along with 2 gauge wiring (maybe overkill, but it's a very cheap upgrade over 4 gauge). My existing controller is a Curtis 1204-027 which is 24-36V, 300 amp. Motor is stock GE 2.2KW 2650RPM. The cart leaves the line well but runs out of steam right away. It does eventually get up to 12mph on level ground, which is it's rated speed. I am looking at Curtis 1204 36-48V controllers which look to be a drop-in upgrade. They come in 225-amp, 275-amp and 350-amp and are progressively more expensive.

My question is, will I see any increase in performance if I spring for the 350-amp version? Or even the 275-amp version?

My motor is rated about 70 amps and I may have it rewound for more speed/torque if just going to 48V does not produce the desired result. Oh yeah, I should mention that the desired result is being able to show my taillights to 99% of pretty new late-model carts with big alloy wheels and neon under-body lights.

Thanks.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller options for series cart

You need more amps to do that..... Consider an aftermarket controller to supply 480 amps at 48v to the little puppy and you will leave the neighbors, and the security cart behind
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
speedy
Not Yet Wild

Are you saying that I can do it with 480 amps and my stock motor? I'm unclear on whether the motor or the controller is the limiting factor.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IT is a combination of stuff ... supply and delivery are key also. You can have the biggest controller on the block but small cables or a weak pack will limit you.....
Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
speedy
Not Yet Wild

I have newer Hawker C-11 AGM batteries and 2-gauge welding cable. I am thinking that supply and delivery are adequate since AGMs are supposed to be better for high-current applications than flooded batteries. I'm just not sure if the stock motor is going to hold me back.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I have newer Hawker C-11 AGM batteries and 2-gauge welding cable. I am thinking that supply and delivery are adequate since AGMs are supposed to be better for high-current applications than flooded batteries. I'm just not sure if the stock motor is going to hold me back.
Members of this site, myself included have run the stock 36v motor on 48 volts with good results. Some saw up to 30% increase in speed AND torque. You will need to change your throttle position indicator and controller so they match. You will need a 48v charger too, ideally.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
speedy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. 30% more than 12mph is only 16mph, I think I am going to need more than that. Charging is not a problem, I'm using a 24-volt solar panel and charging the batteries as two banks in parallel.

I was under the impression that both my current controller and the 48V 350-amp controller used a 0-5000 throttle - they are both 1204 models. Hope I'm not wrong about that.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your 94 TXT would be an ITS throttle ..... neither a 5k-0 or a 0-5k model?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Your 94 TXT would be an ITS throttle ..... neither a 5k-0 or a 0-5k model?
I'm guessing here, but based on the controller he mentioned having and the year of the cart, I believe he has a Marathon not a TXT so therefor would have a 0-5k throttle input.

Speedy, what prices are you seeing for that 350 Amp Controller?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
speedy
Not Yet Wild

I actually have a Yamaha G9 but while researching on this site I found a guy who had an EZ-GO of the same year with the exact same motor as mine. I think the controller is also very similar or perhaps the same. I apologize if I mislead anyone but there is almost no information out there on Yamaha electric carts.

The 350 amp controller is $236 on E-Bay, I believe it is rebuilt. It is from a place called Golframa.

As for the throttle input, I guess I will measure it to be sure but Golframa sells the controller in both 0-5000 and 5000-0 configurations for the same price.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO