lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
archer161
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Is it worth go 8-6volts or 6-8volts batteries??

So with water just splashing up on it will be ok?? Or would a dded box around it be good to prevent as much water as possible??
archer161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NO I'm going on record as saying it is not okay to splash water on the controller. Also They air and circulation for cooling.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
archer161
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone make a water proof controller for these hunting carts??? Or do I need to invent one!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
littlebob
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I agree with scottyb, It could overheat enclosed. My Boss said when he first saw the Alltrax it was at a trade show running underwater in an aquarium to power a trolling motor. Even if you have a controller that could survive it, your pedal box could fill with water and cause problems with the ITS if it has any insulation issues and the micro switch is not waterproof. The solenoid is not waterproof and I don't think any of the connectors are water proof. We get a lot of work from people that try push the limit.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer161 View Post
Does anyone make a water proof controller for these hunting carts??? Or do I need to invent one!!!
Yes, let us know how this works out for you
Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
archer161
Not Yet Wild

I do not plan on running through very much water, but I do have a creek crossing that is 2"to 6" deep and 6'wide that I have to cross!! So as long as don't like hit it wide open I should be ok right?? If I made a guard to block the water from splashing directly on the controller and solenoid, but allows air to flow around it then I should be good right?? Now I am basing this on me going with your design style of mounting the controller under the frame like the picture you sent!! Something like splash guards what do you think??
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
sofar-sogood
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Another question along the 6 volts vs 8 volts, wouldnt it be necessary to add a 12V batt (for accessories) if you go with the 6-8 volts? If so, then you would need a second charger for the single 12V I would assume?
sofar-sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think preventing the splashing would be the best.....I also have a seasonal creek on the ranch and crossing it is no problem when it's not too deep. Use caution.

On the subject of 12v power supply and 6/8v .... you can buy a 12v battery and charger or you may want to just get a good high amperage (25-30a) 48-12v voltage reducer. This will be less weight and no maintenance.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
cbordea
Getting Wild

outside of the extended run time the fact that if I have battery problems I can charge each battery individually with my 6/12V charger is a good reason for me to lean toward 8X6v batteries.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer161 View Post
I do not plan on running through very much water, but I do have a creek crossing that is 2"to 6" deep and 6'wide that I have to cross!! So as long as don't like hit it wide open I should be ok right?? If I made a guard to block the water from splashing directly on the controller and solenoid, but allows air to flow around it then I should be good right?? Now I am basing this on me going with your design style of mounting the controller under the frame like the picture you sent!! Something like splash guards what do you think??
Archer,

I'm gonna agree with ScottyB and say as long as you don't hit that creek at full speed you should be OK. I have a 48-V EZ-GO TXT and my controller is mounted under the passenger seat. I hunt ALOT in Southwestern Pennsylvania, and in the fall\winter it's always wet\mud\snow and water is everywhere. I've not had a problem with water.....but...I don't hit the creeks at full speed. I'm cautious and slow and I get there and back.

I currently run 6-8V batts., but I will change this summer to 8-6V batts. Run time is more important to me, and even if I get a conservative 20% more, it will be worth it.

FWIW

Dave
Davemuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO