lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How do you unseize the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Ok,that clears it up.Did you run it out of oil,was it knocking before it quit,or did it just lock up,with no warning?I would pull it out,remove the side-cover,and check it out.At minimum,you will need rod and main bearings,hopefully it didn't trash the crankshaft,that will need machining or replacement.I know these engines have issues with the cam-gear failing,but not sure if it causes the engine to lockup or just quit.I would tear it down and see what is going on.Hope this helps.
What do you mean by side cover ??? Is this the cover underneath the fan ? What are we checking for ?? When he removed the oil filter he found a few metal filings in it. He is now trying to pull the drive clutch off. He doesn't a clutch puller (as mentioned on page K-2 of the Repair Manual #27206-G01). This page first says the clutch puller is P/N 19778-G2 but then on the same page it says it is part number 19779-G2. I couldn't find 78 but did find 79 on some sites. He's attempting to pull it off using a 3/4" threaded bolt, sockets etc. as suggested by someone else on this site. Do you have any other suggestions ??
c21tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

There is a Thread on the "Grease-Gun Trick" to pop the clutch as well.The side-cover is the crankcase cover behind the clutch.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I searched for the thread you described but I guess I couldn't find the original message on how to do it. I also read something about putting bread in the hole. Does that really work ? I'm not too good about navigating all these "threads", so if you could maybe send me a "pm" or regular email (c21tupper@aol.com) with detailed instructions or copy and paste something that would be great ! Thank you for your help !! Cindy
Old 09-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Don't run it anymore! The connecting rod could break and knock a hole in the crankcase! Depending on what you find, you may want to think about another engine. Maybe a bigger engine!!!
Well.. he finally got the thing apart and here is a picture showing that one bolt came loose and was in the bottom area. The inside of the bracket it should have been attached to isn't as smooth as the other one. Please bear with me as I don't know the correct terminology in identifying these parts. The picture shows the missing bolt on the left side.

Also, the 2nd picture shows a number on the motor. What is this number for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo09042012 039.jpg (105.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo09042012 043.jpg (155.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

O.K, Have the whole thing all apart, found a # 10 x 1 1/2 inch cap screw laying in the bottom of the crankcase, on further investigation, the back piston rod journal was loose,and the other cap screw was only finger tight.valIves do not appear to be damaged, back piston bearings are scored, as well as the crankshaft bearing surface, front piston seems to fe fine , no scratches on the back cylinder piston surfaces, or the front cylinder, do I need only one new piston, rod, and whatever or do I need both. obviously, I need the crankshaft resurfaced on the back piston, do I also need new valves? What do I do from here? Thanks for all your help so far !!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

A few things.The Rod-Bolt broke,which probably stressed the rod and cap.I would replace the connecting rod for sure.You will have to take the crankshaft out and check it over,if it has any marks or damage it will also need to be machined or replaced.The Crankshaft-Journal that the rod rides on needs to be a certain diameter(look in the manuals section for specs.).If its' under-sized,it will need turning or replacing.If the pistons are ok,and meet spec. for piston to cylinder-wall clearance,then they are reuseable,with a fresh set of rings and a quick hone to de-glaze the cylinder.If they are loose in the bores,or there is a thick ridge at the top of the cylinder,It will need to be bored oversize and new pistons fitted.Because of the extent of damage,I would tear it down to the bare-block,check everything carefully(roll the valves on a flat surface to make sure they aren't bent from the piston contacting them when the rod failed),clean it good,and get whatever parts are needed.Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Forgot to mention.I would price the repairs vs a replacement-engine,maybe even a Clone or Big-Block.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Cindy, I know I said that this isn't my field of expertise but on image 1 above, half way up on the left hand side is that a big old crack in the crankcase running around? If it is (and it might just be my bleary old eyes) then that may affect your decision on what to do next.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor won't turn
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO