lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
jwarren
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 Medalist Speed Controller Problem

Cart which I have had for three years will go for a while then slows to a stop and will not go until it sits for a few minutes - present batteries okay (almost new) - today we removed the speed controller cover and checked the speed controller and noticed that the plastic housing had warped in several spots obviously from high heat. The wire (also well connected and tight) from the solenoid out terminal going up to terminal B+ appeared that it had overheated also - had cracks in its insulation. The plastic housing below the pin connector had also deformed. Also deformed was the plastic housing where terminal B+ came thru the housing. Can anyone assist me by telling me what caused all of this. All wire connections were very secure.

I am sure I will need a new speed controller box and I see they are pretty pricey. I certainly do not want to damage a new speed controller module if there is soemthing else I need to spot now and also repair. Thanks!
jwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 Medalist Speed Controller Problem

Welcome to BGW!

What type drive system does your 1995 Medalist have, Series or DCS?
If there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS.

In either case, it sounds like you have a heat problem and I suspect much of it is being caused by the 18 year old 6Ga cables.
They should all be replaced with at least 4Ga. (DCS carts have 10 high current cables while the Series carts have 13)

Electric golf carts, especially those of that era, are designed to carry two golfers and their clubs about 275 yards over groomed cart trails, stop for about 10 minutes and then travel another 275 yards, stop for another 10 minutes and repeat another sixteen times before recharging. Doing much more than that requires upgrading the Cables, Controller and Solenoid; And F/R switch if it is a Series drive system.

Also, if tires taller than 18" are installed, the drive system needs to be upgraded even for golf course usage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW!

it sounds like you have a heat problem and I suspect much of it is being caused by the 18 year old 6Ga cables.
They should all be replaced .......
I'd go "All in" on Johnnies long distance troubleshooting here.

And welcome to BGW
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
jwarren
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the two replies. My cart does not have a switch on the controller cover so I assume it is a Series cart. I had ordered new 4 gauge cables for the batteries as well as the two longer ones that I guess go to the controller before I discovered the warped controller box. I am expecting their arrival any time. As to the cables in the controller housing, where do you find 4 gauge ones to replace the ones in there now which appear to be 6 gauge. Also, where does one find a wiring diagram. I want to make sure the cables and wires are correctly routed and connected. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a Series cart (Series wound motor)
Here is link to the service manual for 94-96 Medalist carts. Be aware that it includes both series and DCS.
http://www.ordertree.com/docs/1047/EZ%20Go/EZ-Go%20Files/Service/medalist%20electric,1994-96 28124G01RS.pdf

This is where I got my cables: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html

Attached is a schematic for a series cart with the high current cables highlighted.
Note that the current that passes through the motor passes through the highlighted cables equally, so they should all be replaced or a bottleneck will be created and heat problems will continue to exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- Hi-Current traced.JPG (59.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
jwarren
Not Yet Wild

Thank you again, but I have another question I need help on about the controller. The controller that was in the cart has four terminals, labeled A2, B+, B-, and M-, reading left to right when looking at the box and reading EZGO in the mold of the box (The A2, B+, B-, and M- are actually turned upside down when you read them). In reviewing the EZGO parts and the service manuals, they show a controller with only three terminals. The A2 terminal is not in the photos or drawings. Has someone put the wrong controller in my 1995 Medalist cart? What is the correct part I need to use in repairing my cart? Should I call EZGO for the answer or can you assist me. Any referrals including shere to obtain the replacement controller would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Pictures. Please post pictures.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The controller in the cart is likely a "plug brake" unit. If you have ever used an electric pallet jack, you know that to slow it down you bump the directional control opposite of its current motion. With the basic three terminal controller, if the cart is still coasting backwards when you flip the switch and hit the accelerator the cart will stop and start forward abruptly and rudely. With a plug brake unit, the cart will slow down and then start forward without the whiplash inducing bump.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
jwarren
Not Yet Wild

I have attached the photos (I Hope)

Controller 1.JPG

Controller 2.JPG

Controller 3.JPG
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dang, that looks as bad as my controller!!!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melting plastic box, speed controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO