lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Quick question about charging, '84 Club Car with Accu Power #13800

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsteeler View Post
I just ran the cart for about 20 minutes around 7pm EST tonight and put in on charge when I got home. The smell of sulphur still prominent when charging and I can hear the batteries "boiling", but there is NO visible overflow. The charger opened up @16 amps and after about an hour or so went to 0 amps but still is humming and still can hear batteries when up close. It's been 2 hours now of the charger still on @0 amps.
Took voltmeter and measured batt's and 7.6v per WHILE charging and the pack was at 46v WHILE charging.
I have no idea whats going on.
Most ppl I see say the smell is from overcharging. These are new batteries and Im freaking out about damaging them.
What's bizarre is when the gauge shows 0 amps, the charger should be off.
Those readings are normal while charging. Do you have another charger you could try on your cart, or another cart you could try your charger on?
Your charger is acting funny, it should start high, then gradually go down and finally read 0 and shut off.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
gatorsteeler
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Quick question about charging, '84 Club Car with Accu Power #13800

jake,
my mistake, the charger is on the ground so the angle was throwing me off when glancing at it.
the charger kicks in on 16 amps for about the 1st hour then drops to 2 amps, not 0 as I thought.
It will sit @ 2 amps for a few hours before cutting off by itself, always accompanied by the sulfur smell.
**** battery gauge never drops from 100% charged at any point- 1 red wire on main + and 1 black wire on main -.
with all this stuff being in non-running condition, and old charger, and having to change the type of cables to fit the batteries posts, I was and am a little cautious.
BATTERIES AREN'T CHEAP!
I rode it for about 20 minutes again tonight full throttle. tested pack with voltmeter and got 37v. Before riding it, it was at 38v. While charging it is at 46v.
does anyone know about the longevity about the Club Car ACCU POWER chargers? do these really last as long as this?
gatorsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car