lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
IronOtter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default DS Immediately Stopped @ WOT

I have a problem with my 2002 Club Car DS. It is a 48v cart that has run fine but had some charging and dying issues. Yesterday, I ran the cart for about two blocks at full throttle with no problems. As I drove around a corner, I let off the pedal and when I pushed it down the cart immediately slowed down as if it lost all power. When I pushed the pedal down it would stutter and try to move but wouldn't go anywhere. I tested the batteries and they were at 51.6 across the entire pack (I haven't tested individual batteries yet). After pushing the cart back home, I checked the voltage again and then inspected each cell. They were pretty dry (below the plates). I added between 1/2 a gallon and a gallon of water to the entire pack (meaning all six batteries took a fair amount of water). I cleaned off the main positive cable and buttoned everything back up.

Whenever I press the pedal it does the same shutter / stutter and moves ever so slightly.

As you can likely guess, this is my first cart and I'm new to the whole thing. I knew there were charging issues in the past because it would trip the breaker on my charger and on occasion charge for a very long time. I have had occasions where it charged more than 12 hours before I pulled the plug. The last charge was one such long charge period before this happened. The charging brick was hot to touch, especially on the bottom and the plug was warm but not really hot.

After I added the water to the batteries (about 1 cm over the plate tops) I plugged the charger in and it ran a very low 3-ish amps. I unplugged and repeated, same thing.

Any thoughts? Bad battery? Bad Solenoid? Blown motor or controller (please Lord no...)

Thank you for any responses/help ahead of time.
IronOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Default Re: DS Immediately Stopped @ WOT

Obviously running your batteries that low on H2O is not good. If it was me I would like to see the voltage across pack as you ran the cart. If it drops way down you could have a battery or connection problem and you would want to test the individual batteries and all connections.

M
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
IronOtter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'm bummed about the charger and batteries b/c I know it's killing them faster. I didn't think to check the water because we topped them off about three weeks ago after another over charge issue and have only run the cart once or twice since.

I hope I haven't fried the pack and blown a controller in the process. When I get home tonight I will try to load test it. Do I just put the multimeter on it and run the cart around? I'll have to find something to keep the pins on the posts...
Old 06-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Tape the multimeter pins to the posts and record the under load voltages of the batteries. I'm willing to bet that you've got some battery troubles, that shaking you're describing sounds like the "shudder of death" that carts give when the batteries are really weak.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
IronOtter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It's weird though b/c it was running like a stuck pig and then immediately went dead. Like someone turned out the lights... Will carts do that when the packs go? It's still showing a significant volt reading and only charges at 3 amps when I plugged it in.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

That is a little unusual, but I've learned to never underestimate the weirdness of batteries. It's possible one could've picked that time to short internally maybe?
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Does your cart have a OBC? If so try reseting it (Sticky in this forum) and charge it for up to 16 hours. If your charger shuts off then try the voltage check under load. IMHO it is a connection problem, but I am new to this....

M
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
allenb12
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Mine died just exactly that way. One battery died and was draining the pack when under a load.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
IronOtter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to try and check it tonight and see what the numbers look like under load. Will post a follow up in a bit.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
IronOtter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So I tested the pack. It's been sitting a few days now with no charger on it so the entire bank measured 47.4 at rest. Under load the solenoid clicked, cart shuttered and moved ever so slightly and voltage dropped down to 33.2 at the lowest point (it was bouncing all over the place around 35/37).

Each battery at rest measured out around 8.3 but one was 5.5. That same battery under load went -7.0 The others seemed to stay at 8.2 or so. Afterward, I put the charger on the pack and it bounces between 0 and 6 amps.

So obviously I have a problem with that one batter. The question is, can I save it? Should I try to charge it up? What do I need to do to confirm it's completely shot before I put a new one in?

Also, will it hurt the rest of the pack if I run the charger with that one shot battery in it?

I'm going to read about the OBC now to see if I can reset it. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Tags
solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car