lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default My Cousin's Club Car

My cousin wanted me to look at his cart.

It had been sitting for six months to a year.. Fe 290 93 CC stock it is an old Disney cart has double seats and long roof.

His description of the problem was it was either wide open or nothing.

I had to put a new battery in it, then I started.

It "seemed" like the throttle was stuck wide open.. and sure enough when it started it was wide open or nothing.

I removed all the cables and linkages, and carb and cleaned and lubricated everything..but it was plainly evident the cables were shot, they were cheap so that has been replaced.

The carb was a mess, I could not get the main jet out..
The gas was siphoning out the front of the carb when sitting still, so I figured the float was stuck or something with the main jet.
it had been reamed a few times and was just a mess.. and it couldn not be removed short of drilling it out.

I found a brand new in the box OEM Kaw carb for a 290 for 80 bucks..so I got that.

I installed everything, and it still seems to be stuck wide open (new throttle spring, etc..) and won't return to idle position.

I have got it where it will drive around..and it drives slow and fast..so I have full throttle *response*, but it seems to want to pipe gas out the front..and I don't think the throttle is acting like it should..

It does not seem like it should be in the half open position when the cart is sitting still... If I could stop it from siphoning I would be happy with it.

help..

i hate club car...
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My Cousin's Club Car

another question I can't find the answer to is

How do I put the cart in "maintenance mode" ?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

This may sound like dumb question but was the butterfly attached to the throttle still there when you look into the carb? Lots of guys on here have had this exact problem and they all seem to find that the butterfly is missing or come loose from the throttle shaft.

*Edit nevermind I just read that you installed a brand new carb and had the same issue. Is that right?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

maint. mode is easy on the back of the f/r selector (under the seat) is a yellow plastic knob. pull out and turn 180 degrees. the cart should run in neutral only when this is done.
wharris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

If you replaced the carb with a completely different carb then I would check the rod that runs from the gas pedal to the control box. You can lengthen the rod in order to get more speed, and maybe someone messed with it, making it so long that there's no longer any room for low-pedal rpms. To check, just remove the rod (it's just a spring-loaded ball-socket attachment at both ends), put the cart in maintenance mode, then move the throttle by hand on the carburetor and see if it revs normally. Like I said if you replaced the carb and are having the same problem, I would definitely be checking the linkage.

These pics are of may cart, which is an '87, but I think the pedal rod setup is the same.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharris01 View Post
maint. mode is easy on the back of the f/r selector (under the seat) is a yellow plastic knob. pull out and turn 180 degrees. the cart should run in neutral only when this is done.
Thanks..

No, I replaced it with a brand new carb.. I am thinking the carb was
not prepared to be installed, this is a 93, looks nothing like the pictures.

The butterfly was intact in the old carb, and the new carb..with basically the same performance..WHICH IS gas siphoning out of the carb.

I replaced the fuel pump with a known working NON siphoning fuel pump,
but it still siphons.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Problems with 93 Club Car FE 290 Carburetor siphoning

Help ??

I guess I need to ask a moderator to change the title.

Thanks.

I was pretty sure I was going to hit a grand slam with sprucing the cart up..The old throttle cables were shot
and the carb looked bad.. so, as I said, I replaced battery, carb, cables, changed oil, cleaned out the gas tank,
new fuel lines, filter, and it is siphoning fuel..EVEN with the fuel line looped up higher than the tank before it goes
to the carb.. LOL.. blowing my mind.
\
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Siphoning fuel back into the tank? weird...

Being that is was once a Disney cart, I've heard many stories about how they "Mickey Mouse" their carts! (pun intended! )

A couple of things to look at for a carb that's not closing:
First, check the throttle cable in/at the electrical components box as it wraps around the cam, it should have a little slack,
if not, adjust the the cable sleeve at the box... in, and see if that helps!

084.JPG

If the sleeve is fully adjusted in, and you still don't have just a little slack in the cable, and the carb is still open,
Check the bracket that holds the cable back by the governor spring, (upper left in the pic)

096.JPG

It's possible that someone could have bent that bracket towards the front of the cart to get more speed!
(I did that when I first bought my cart... BIG mistake!)

I'm not sure what else to tell you!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

NO NO.. it is *siphoning* from the tank and dripping gas on the stupid
oil filter..

I am pretty sure I didn't do any of the right adjustments on the carb
when I installed it.. I assumed ( and we know where that goes) that
it came adjusted from the factory..

It is running better now, acceptable, in fact..if I could just stop gas
from pouring through the carb ( and always flooding it when stopped)

Thanks for your posts..
Old 06-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Oh I forgot, when I was *replacing * everything..
I also replaced the throttle cam, the old one looked like my grandaddy when
he smiled.. had a couple teef missing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car