lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Fuel flow on 91 Marathon

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post - I hope that someone can point me in the right direction. Just purchased a 1991 Ez-Go Marathon (used it three times for a few minutes in the last 6 weeks that we owned it). Was able to start it and back it out of garage and then it died. I checked the voltage and sparkplug (good blue spark). Then started looking at fuel system. I pulled plug and noticed it was dry. The fuel line runs out of the top of the tank and then splits (one to bottom of engine, other to carb). The carb is new and was added just prior to my buying it.

The few times we used it, it seems to always have a few seconds before it started. Now not starting at all...

Some questions that I have (any suggestions or answer would be greatly appreciated):

How does the fuel get to the top of the fuel tank (I thought the fuel lines would be fed by gravity from bottom of the tank)?

There is fuel visible in the fuel filter on the line running to the bottom of the engine, but the there does not appear to be anything in the filter on the line going to the carb. Does this sound like it should be dry?

Does anyone know how to adjust the carb (there are two screws on the carb)?

Thanks for any help that you can supply - Have a great day...
FamilyFunCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel flow on 91 Marathon

It may not be needed but the engine is a 2-cycle (not sure if there was a 4-cycle in the 1991 Marathon)...
Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Welcomt to BGW!

There is a vaccum pulse fuel pump that feeds the carb. Take the main feed line loose from the tank....turn the engine over and see if there is any vaccum on that line. If there is no vaccum on that line check all your hoses to see if they are cracked, etc. If theres nothing cracked and it all looks in good order the fuel pump may be bad.

P.S. Just something you might try....Tap on the fuel bowl on the carb. The needle could be stuck. Reason I ask is mine does it all the time, even though its a new carb.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Roady! Very good info - will try...
Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Update

Udate: I checked the compression (just to also rule it out) and got a reading of 145 PSI. That (I hope) is a good sign.

I replaced a badly worn fuel hose to carb (had many cracks on the outside covering - not sure how deep they actually went).

Disconnected the line to the top of fuel tank and I am not receiving any vacuum. I think that Roady is correct that it may be vacuum related. Gotta run to store to get small mirror or better yet a jack so I can check further.

Is there some place that I can spray starter fluid to check that it is the vacuum for fuel system? Will starter spray work in a 2-cycle...Sorry to be so unknowledgable about this thing but I bought a golf cart for my family to have fun and now I am in over my head...your group is only thing keeping my santity :-) And to think that I would have a tool to check compression - I've been lucky to change a fuse! Thanks again for any help or advice...Have a great day...
Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

145 sounds good. Ether will get it fired but its not recommended. Also, if you end up replacing everything and it still doesn't pump the crankcase seals could be leaking. Lets hope its not that...more than likely its a vaccum leak or fuel pump is just out. If you get it to fire at least for a few seconds check to see it that line is pulling vaccum.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Roady...just back from store with jack, stands, mirror and starter fluid...I'll let you know if it fires up and if it does, will check the vacuum on the fuel line...
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
FamilyFunCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Success!!! Thanks Roady!!! Sprayed fuled into carb and it fired up and ran for a few seconds..It felt like a small vacuum on the fuel line, so I connected it and it cranked it up again and I could see the fuel filter on the carb fuel line flowing through the filter (instead of bone dry like before)...Now I am recharging the battery (it got so low during the testing that it was barely contacting in the solenoid)...You are the man! I learned just about all the major parts of the the last two days (probably pulled out a ton of hair in the process)...Next step is to get spare parts just in case and clean 'er up and try to get them looking like the nice machines that you guys have...The kids will love the look of the big tires when I get to that point...I must tell you, after spending all the money and buying/installing a trailer hitch to move the cart and having it sit there was totally disheartening...but hearing it crank up after hours of troubleshooting (thanks to this forum and especially Roady) it was the greatest sound I have heard in a long time...Thanks again for everything!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Cool, Keep us updated.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
91 W.I.P.
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just came across your July post today as I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get fuel into the carb on my 91 Marathon. My mind was thinking fuel pump, but your post script advising to tap on the fuel bowl did the trick! Started right up! Thanks a million.
91 W.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1991, 3pg, fuel, marathon, starting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO