lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
kv1370
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO 2 cycle drowning with fuel

Hi all, I'm trying to solve a problem with my Mom's 2 cycle EZGO Marathon. I believe from the serial number that it's a 1984 and it has a Robin EC25-2PG 244cc engine. Over time, the cart has run worse and worse and finally got to the point that it won't generate enough power to go forward. It runs a little better in reverse. It starts right up but won't rev up and blows clouds of gray smoke. I took off the air filter and the element looked clean, but at the bottom of the housing there was an oily sludge. The cart is driven on dusty roads around a farm, so that's where the dirt came from. She mixes the gas and oil at a 128:1 ratio, so I am guessing that fuel is backing up from the carburetor into the intake air chamber, then the gas evaporates, leaving the oil. There is no difference in how it runs with or without the air filter installed.

I noticed that the adjustment screw on the carburetor was completely missing, so I've replaced the carburetor. She lives at an elevation of 6,000 feet so maybe the carburetor I bought isn't jetted correctly, but the new carb didn't change anything.

I removed the muffler and discovered that it had liquid (presumably gas) in it. I tried running the cart without the muffler and gas spits out of the exhaust pipe along with the dark smoke, and the cart runs the same.

I am not a mechanic and know very little about engines but have been searching forums trying to resolve the problem because there are no repair shops closer than 90 miles from where my Mom lives and we have no means of transporting the cart. I read that a broken reed valve can cause gas to backup into the breather and cause plug fouling (which is also happening), so I took the reed valve out and cleaned it. Nothing looked broken and there was no light showing through. I checked compression and got 95 in forward and 105 in reverse. I don't know if the overloading of fuel can cause poor compression and I don't know how accurate my gauge is. I took apart the forward/reverse switch and two sets of contacts showed signs of arcing. I cleaned everything and switched the bad contacts with the good ones to see if that made a difference in how it ran forward vs backwards, but nothing changed.

Searching the forum, I found that sometimes fuel in the exhaust is due to a broken diaphragm in the fuel pump. I disassembled my fuel pump and both diaphragms looked OK.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate the help.
kv1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO 2 cycle drowning with fuel

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3 Post #22. Use the 85 manual.

You already checked compression, exhaust, and fuel pump. Now you are down to crankshaft seals.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
newtjl
Gone Wild

Agree. Sounds like the seals have finally had it.Not too big a job, especially on the two stroke. Inexpensive fix too.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I'm leaning towards fuel pump diaphragm, if they're the clear ones a tear is hard to see. It's a great way for fuel to flood the engine, and they're fairly cheap too. Here's a few pics of my bad pump with pretty much the same symptoms as yours.....Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Fuel pump1.jpeg (5.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pump2.jpg (3.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pump3.jpg (4.0 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
kv1370
Not Yet Wild

I'll give that a try. They are the clear type. I thought I looked them over pretty good, but maybe I missed something. I think that changing the seals is beyond my level of skill.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I think there is a fuel delivery issue. Usually too much fuel means a carburetor that has a stuck or malfunctioning float. The fuel pump? Not sure how a bad fuel pump will pump more fuel, they usually pump less fuel when they fail. The carb float should stop the flow of fuel anyway. Unless the fuel is entering the engine from the vacuum pulse hose? Check that while cranking the engine. Pull the vacuum pulse hose off the engine and crank the engine, see if fuel is coming out from there, it should not. If it does, replace the fuel pump. Fuel should only come out of the hose that goes to the carburetor.

I suspect what happened is the old carb was dumping fuel into the engine and exhaust, filling up the crankcase and the muffler. Installing new carb didn't solve the problem because there was a ton of fuel in the crankcase and muffler still.

To check this, remove the fuel line from the carb. Remove the muffler/exhaust. Remove the spark plug. Run the starter/gen and see if fuel is coming out of the exhaust port. Run the starter/gen until you no longer see fuel coming out. This will expel most of the fuel from the crankcase. Leave the spark plug off and the exhaust off. Blow air from a fan directly at the exhaust port and leave it a few days to fully evaporate the fuel. BE CAREFUL, FUEL IS VERY FLAMABLE AND CAN CATCH FIRE FROM A SPARK! Keep a fire extinguisher handy and don't smoke or use any electrical devices. Do this OUTSIDE!

If the muffler is full of fuel, it needs to be burned off. Make yourself a nice fire with some really good dry wood. Burn the wood down until you see a huge pile of red coals. Take the muffler and set it on top of the coals and sit back and watch the show. The fuel and oil will burn off and flames will come out of the exhaust pipes. Hopefully your neighbors don't mind you fogging for mosquitoes. Keep that thing in the fire until no more smoke/flames are present. Let the muffler cool overnight and then blow compressed air through the muffler/pipes to get all the soot out. Reinstall.

Recheck your compression. Take some 2 cycle oil and put an ounce or so in the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Leave the plug out and cycle the engine for about 2 minutes. Then recheck your compression. Have a rag handy to catch all the oil coming out of the spark plug hole. A dry cylinder can give you a low compression reading. Adding a little oil helps to seal the cylinder up. If there was a ton of fuel flowing into the cylinder it is likely dry from all the gas in there. Gas is a solvent and will wash the oil right off the cylinder walls and piston rings.

Reinstall your new carb, new plug, new air filter with no fuel/oil on it. See if she runs. If not you might not have enough compression.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I think there is a fuel delivery issue. Usually too much fuel means a carburetor that has a stuck or malfunctioning float. The fuel pump? Not sure how a bad fuel pump will pump more fuel, they usually pump less fuel when they fail. The carb float should stop the flow of fuel anyway. Unless the fuel is entering the engine from the vacuum pulse hose? Check that while cranking the engine. Pull the vacuum pulse hose off the engine and crank the engine, see if fuel is coming out from there, it should not. If it does, replace the fuel pump. Fuel should only come out of the hose that goes to the carburetor.
Yes yes that's what I'm thinking, a breached diaphragm will allow tons of fuel to be sucked into the crankcase. That would be especially bad on an oil injected system too, it'd be flooded with straight unmixed fuel.....

Unfortunately with these engines there is no pulse hose, the pump is mounted directly to the crankcase.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It revved up, and acted normal because it was running out of gas. That entire 2 minutes it was running on what was in the float bowl.

Your pump isn't pumping because it went bad, or you need crankshaft seals.

A bad pump isn't just ripped diaphragms. It could also be stuck/ clogged check valves.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #9
kv1370
Not Yet Wild

OK, I have made a little progress. I took the carburetor apart after seeing gas coming out the overflow line and found that the needle valve was not seating due to some dirt. I cleaned everything out, reinstalled the carb, cleaned the sparkplug, and started it up. This time, it ran but was still blowing blue smoke. I turned the pilot screw in from 1.5 turns to 1 turn, to 1/2 turn, to completely closed, and it seemed to run best with the screw completely closed. I wondered if I would be better off using the old carb, since I knew it had the high altitude jet, so swapped them out, taking the pilot screw from the new one and putting it in the old one. We're at 6,000 feet and using the old carb seemed to help. It is no longer fouling the plug and the amount of smoke coming out the exhaust is much less, but it doesn't seem to have quite enough power. I fiddled with the pilot screw, starting at 1.5 turns backed off the seat, and ending at only 1/2 turn. I'm wondering if it's getting enough air. I took out the screw on top of the carburetor and I can't blow through it with my mouth. Is that normal?
Old 02-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #10
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

pull the spark plug and hook it up to the plug wire and lay it onto a metal part of the engine and look at the spark while spinning the engine over it should be white or bright blue, if its red or orange thats not very good spark, check the plug wire and the boot and consider replacing the coil and plug wire. pre mix one gallon of gas to the proper ratio and clean your tank and everything in the fuel system and try it with the properly mixed gallon of fuel and oil
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO