lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
JayLow123
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default 2010 Tomberlin Emerge Possible Battery Issues

So here goes, I have maintained my batteries fairly well over the last few years. Changed out one due to allowing the water level to get too low. Also had Plum Quick rewind the motor for 25% more tourgue and speed. Well lately I have noticed the fully charged batteries don't last as long. They are 5+ years old. Weird thing is all cells checked out good using specific gravity test. Showing 53 volts when charged. Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.
JayLow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 Tomberlin Emerge Possible Battery Issues

When you measure this 53 volts how soon is it after the charger has finished with it? You need to wait at the least 12 hours before you will get a clear reading of your batteries voltage holding capabilities; preferable to check after 24 hours...

5 year old batteries while still viable are going to be on the down slope in golf cart battery lifespan; they made take a charge very well as did my 3 year old fleet batteries. But they lose voltage quickly while just sitting and slump badly under use. Take some voltage readings while under load if they are dipping below 42 volts they are going out the door.

Also that new battery soon became no better than the old battery as it gets overcharged due to the older batteries discharging faster and needing more recharge time...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
JayLow123
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Thanks for the quick reply.

I figured I was on the losing end with the one battery swap out.

The batteries had been sitting fully charged for over 24hrs. First test was about 56 volts fresh off of the charger. 24hrs later about 52, took it around the block and down to 50 now. Going to do the load test tomorrow. I am hoping it's the batteries and nothing else even though its going to cost me a few bucks. Getting replacement parts for my Tomberlin cart haven't been easy in the past. I shouldn't complain, this cart has held up well and gets used often.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
JayLow123
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
When you measure this 53 volts how soon is it after the charger has finished with it? You need to wait at the least 12 hours before you will get a clear reading of your batteries voltage holding capabilities; preferable to check after 24 hours...

5 year old batteries while still viable are going to be on the down slope in golf cart battery lifespan; they made take a charge very well as did my 3 year old fleet batteries. But they lose voltage quickly while just sitting and slump badly under use. Take some voltage readings while under load if they are dipping below 42 volts they are going out the door.

Also that new battery soon became no better than the old battery as it gets overcharged due to the older batteries discharging faster and needing more recharge time...
Well I have ran a quick test. 50.4 volts stopped prior to test run. Charge indicator near 100%. Under loading getting up to top speed volts dropped well below 42 volts, 39 and maybe a little less. Once up to top speed levels out around 42 volts. Ran maybe 1-2 miles total.

Returned home and stopped, around 49 volts. Charge indicator showing a little over 75%.
Batteries may be at the end of life........ Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

At 49 volts or 60 % SOC after only a couple of miles along with the sub par 42 volts under load I'd say that unless you got some loose and or dirty battery cabling then yes your batteries are all but toast....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts