lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Chase Beddingfield
Not Yet Wild

Default Old Cushman electric vintage and electrical questions

So I posted this on another cart site, which I thought I'd mention in case some of you are on both. I hope posting on both isn't taboo, but I figured I'm more likely to catch fish with 2 lines fishing....so anyway I need some help on a cart project. I just bought a "fixer-upper" Cushman 36v electric. I want to get it working properly so my kids can drive it over to grandmas house (and heaven knows where else). I paid $50 for this thing and it seems most everything was here except batteries. Man they don't give those away......geez. Anyway, I've been messing with this thing and I've would up at a few dead ends. I've also spent some time on vintagegolfcartparts.com, but still need help. I put 6 new 6V batteries on this thing and wired them according to all the resources I've seen. I'm getting 37.47V across the battery bank in a no-load state. Someone put a new solenoid on this thing and I did some some further research to get that and the buzzer wired properly. I also had to replace some copper bars on the accelerator plate (forgive my ignorance of proper nomenclature), and put a new key switch on it. I kicked the thing on and holy smokes it actually runs. But then come the weird things that I don't understand:
1) I have tried my best to determine the model and vintage, but I'm stumped.
But my tag doesn't seem to have the proper info. My tag or "nameplate" (which is located where the literature says it should be) says "Cushman" and "881409". As best I can tell. It's somewhat damaged and difficult to read, but there definitely aren't any other numbers. I have looked repeatedly where the literature says to find the serial number (2 different places on the cart) but there is nothing. I even got my brightest light, cleaned the surfaces well, and then went so far as to wire wheel the paint off. Nothing. I can say that everything on this cart looks identical to the photos (for electric models) on the website at the link I posted above. So honestly I can't tell you guys what this thing is, but it appears it maybe in the range of 1964-1975
2) the cart still tries to "go" when the accelerator is not being pushed. It appears to me that it (the pedal and associated linkage) is returning to the fully retracted position, but I see there is still a contactor in that position and current is still being applied to the motor. Now I would have thought no pedal would mean no power applied. This thing wants to go (albeit not much) any time the key is on, the FWD/REV knob is engaged in either FWD or REV, and the brake is not being pressed. I'd really like to find out if this is normal or if it means there's a problem...doesn't seem logical to me.
3) I wired everything according to this diagram (which yes, I had to guess was the right diagram)
I did verify that this thing has a circuit breaker, and my cart's components match this diagram perfectly with no additions or deletions. So the thing runs, but as I mentioned earlier, it wants to go all the time and lastly, the buzzer, which the literature calls a "brake buzzer" activates any time the brake is pressed. (Provided the key is on). Likewise, the buzzer activates if my butt isn't on the seat and depressing a little lever under the seat (which I also don't really know the purpose of). Now I've seen carts with reverse buzzers, but never one that buzzes anytime you press the brake.
So I know that was long-winded but that's my story and I'm hoping you all might shed some light on my issues. Thanks in advance. -Chase
Chase Beddingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Old Cushman electric vintage and electrical questions

If forward and reverse lever is in between the seats and is a rotor, verse a handle, it makes it an early car, if it has a "bull nose" front its like late 60's 1975 was the last year for the golf car.

Sounds as though you solenoid is no good. If the pedal goes to rest, it should turn off the switch in the pedal box. The original cart used a 12 volt solenoid, powered by 18 volts. Small white wire that goes to the last battery on the driver side rear battery. Most of the time when the solenoid failed, we just put a 36 volt solenoid in it and you move that small white wire to the passenger side front battery. ( it will reach with no mods)

The buzzer is there to remind you that the brake is left on, since the cart will not knock the hill brake off if locked. It sounds like your cart has the seat brake, which, if you get out of the seat, it sets the brake, no need to lock the hill brake. Lever for the buzzer is under the floor board below the main brake
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Chase Beddingfield
Not Yet Wild

Well first of all, many thanks to you for the valuable info. I can't say I fully understand everything you've told me yet, but I'll take the lesson and study the cart and try to apply this.

Yes it is between the seats and it's a rotor, or "knob"' as I've coined it. I'd venture to say it's "Bull-nosed", too, but I don't know what to compare it to, so I think I'll post some better pics.

I have always had struggles with solenoids, regardless of what they're on. Somebody replaced this on in the somewhat recent past, and I really don't know if it's the proper one or if it's functioning properly, and it's safe to say I probably don't know how to test it. But I'm inclined to agree with you that's a likely culprit if power is on when it shouldn't be, so thank you. I'm certainly willing to invest in a new 36V solenoid and wire it per your instructions. Anyone have input on where to get a 36V solenoid? I'm guessing that's not an auto parts store item...

The brake system still perplexes me a bit....but I like the idea of the seat brake, especially with kids driving the thing. And I have noticed that the seat brake and main brake are somehow connected, as the brake pedal moves when the seat lever is pressed. I think I need to study the mechanism some more and try to fully understand it. So it seems logical to me to have a buzzer to remind me that the brake is on before I try to take off. The only problem is that my buzzer wants to remind me ANY TIME I press the brake, even when I'm sitting on the seat, and driving for that matter. So again, I think I need to study it some more. There must be some type of mechanical linkage that's not releasing properly or something and causing the buzzer to go off when it shouldn't. And finally, I think I need to test the seat brake because I'm not convinced it's applying enough brake pressure to hold the cart on a hill.

So again, thank you for all of this info. I'm going to do some replacing, studying and testing and see what I come up with.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The brake is a plate mounted back on the differential.

Passenger side, rod is threaded, tighten that to give you more holding power. 1 inch of free play at the main brake is whats required. You can lock out the seat brake by lifting the seat and pushing down on the rod for the seat brake and pushing the lock into place to hold it. Should make sense if you look at it.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Chase,
Post a few photos of your cart and perhaps someone might be able to help you narrow down it's vintage. Also post a photo of your wiring diagram that you refer to in your point (3). It will be helpful in the trouble shooting process.
Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
Chase Beddingfield
Not Yet Wild

Here are a few pics and the diagram I used. I got the diagram here:
https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com...=100012&Page=1
They say this is for Gran Cushman GC300 and GC400. I looked at all their diagrams and this is the only one that appeared to match my electrical system exactly.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_5228.PNG (735.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5225.jpg (168.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5226.jpg (166.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5170.jpg (214.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5168.jpg (201.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Chase,
I did a search on your model number and came up with a portion of a service manual for your cart:
https://www.manualslib.com/products/...9-4079310.html
Also dig around in here to see if you can find any more Cushman info:
https://www.manualslib.com/brand/cushman/
Good luck on your repairs (or rebuild!).
Regards, 3CW
Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Chase,
I just looked at: https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com...ence-guide.pdf
It says that the model 881409 is a Series 732, 1967 Golfster, 36v, Trophy.
Regards, 3CW
Old 06-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

If you need some of the aluminum bars that connect the resistors to the speed control contacts, I think I have some new ones lying around
Old 06-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
Chase Beddingfield
Not Yet Wild

3CW, that's awesome! Thank you so much! This thing is older than I am....ha!

Golf Cart Guy, thank you for the generous offer. I think I'm good on the bars for now, but I'll remember you have those.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts