lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
hubert7472
Not Yet Wild

Default Melted nut on battery post

I have a 2008 Club Car. One nut on one battery terminal was apparently loose. The battery apparently arced and basically welded the nut to the bolt. I can't move it and the bolt already seems loosened where it goes into the battery.
Solutions? Repairs?
Can I just cut off the old cable and put a new one in on top of the present nut?
Thanks in advance. BTW- The cart still runs.
hubert7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Melted nut on battery post

if you look at this way , the terminal sticking up is a hex bolt molded into the lead . once its loose in the lead it is done and will arc out over and over

look here on repair of battery post :
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/battery-terminal-repair/
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
crash test dummy

good read >>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...melt-down.html
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubert7472 View Post
I have a 2008 Club Car. One nut on one battery terminal was apparently loose. The battery apparently arced and basically welded the nut to the bolt. I can't move it and the bolt already seems loosened where it goes into the battery.
Solutions? Repairs?
Can I just cut off the old cable and put a new one in on top of the present nut?
Thanks in advance. BTW- The cart still runs.
Do Not put another cable on over the old nut! You must have a good connection to the lead post of the battery. I have had good luck using a Dremel tool with a thin cut wheel to cut a slot in the nut and then expand the nut a little with a screwdriver. The threads on the stud may need a bit of cleaning up with a die (a good nut with a slot cut in it will work if you don't have access to a tap and die set). Clean the top area on the lead post to bright metal (where the cable terminal will seat on the post) I've had a few loose studs before and if you don't over tighten the nut, you shouldn't have an issue. Remember, the current should pass mainly through the battery post to the cable. The stud and nut are simply to hold the cable to the battery.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
hubert7472
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Melted nut on battery post

Friend came over today and fixed it (I think) by:

Hack sawed off the old nut. Cleaned off the surface of the lead and flattened out. Put cable back on the post. Added a washer on top and put a new nut on. Was able to turn nut down securely onto the post. The post is now firmly in place (no wiggle). Near as I can figure - the post was pulled upward against the battery housing providing some stability.
Bottom line for now after doing 18 holes of golf - it seems to be repaired. If it changes in the next few weeks I will repost that info.
Thanks for the suggestions. If this had not worked I was going to Tap in a new post following the online instructions.
hubert7472 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arcing, battery, melted wire
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts