lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
Radius
Not Yet Wild

Default Best means of shortening a Taylor-Dunn steering column, etc.?

Been awhile since I restored my first Taylor-Dunn, but it kept me on the look out for another, and a few months back, I found one... sort of...

What it is, is the shell/cab of a mid-70's Taylor-Dunn Tee-Bird, merged, fairly successfully, with the chassis, engine, etc., of a Suzuki Quad-runner. I'm in the process of tearing it down, to sandblast/deal with the rust, disassemble, check, restore, etc., etc..

I'm thinking ahead, and trying to address some things I'd like to know more about, and first on that list is the possibility of shortening the the steering column, and attaching a different steering wheel.

It has the Taylor-Dunn steering system intact, and I don't see the need to alter the basic system, but wanted to ask of the best way to shorten the column, ask what others had done, different ideas, etc..

I'm familiar with the idea of cutting a piece out of the middle, welding the top & bottom back together, as well as cutting off one end, and re-machining, and I know about the Ididit tilt steering available for other makes of cart, but all of these only in the most basic detail.

Currently I've the idea to mount the control yoke from a Honda Odyssey FL-350, just because I've always liked them. Granted, it may not be the best choice, and certainly the mounting is a different beast.

So... a great deal of information, not sure how much was truly necessary, but I do thank you for your thoughts, comments, ideas and suggestions.

Ray~
Radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts